Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dual Battery Problem

Aight guys I need some help. Every year I have to buy 2 new batteries because I apparently have a short somewhere.

I have a dual bank charger that I usually plug in but I forgot all about it in October. Check the boat yesterday and both are batteries are done! Took em back to Napa and they are gonna switch em out for half price.

My question for you guys is what is the best way to hook my gear up.

Exile System, LEDs, and we mainly surf and sit listening to music. I've never ran em dead. I also have a perko switch to use each battery separately or together. I have always ran both batteries parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg) then hooked up engine start to one and radio/led to the other and then attached dual charger to both....

Is this a correct setup or is there a better way!?

I'll be picking up new batteries today and will wait to see what you guys recommend before hooking everything back up

Thanks in advance! Sorry for not being around much, been a busy year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

I ran a similar setup in my LS and will do the same for my Craz come spring. This is what I used to isolate the two batteries so that my starting battery was always protected from draining. It also has a neat function that allows you to boost your starting battery, with you auxiliary battery, if needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I wouldn't combine the batteries like you have above. If you have a duel bank charger then hook everything to one battery

Stereo only on the second.

This isolates the starting from the stereo
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

T,

1st, clarify what switch style you have. I ask because the term "perko" get overused used like kleenex. Perko is a brand, and they supply many more marine products, beyond switches. There are half a dozen switch manufacturers and as many different switch styles. All with a different wiring scheme.

2nd, you need to post an accurate diagram of how the switch and batteries are wired. Without that, its all guessing and speculation. I already see suggestions that would lead to your very issue, rather than solve it.

Default Dual Battery Problem

Tgoody, if you use that battery doctor like I posted you don't need to buy extra switches and stuff.
    This is how it wires up. Super easy!

Last edited by Stazi; 02-22-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

This is how it wires up. Super easy!
    Sure, but all the loads are wired battery direct with no disconnect for storage. Leaving a parasitic draw to deplete the battery(s) during layup.

I have a dual bank charger that I usually plug in but I forgot all about it in October. Check the boat yesterday and both are batteries are done!

During layup I disconnect both batteries completely

2017 Moomba Craz

My set up is very similar to what you have. I scoured the forums several summers ago and decided to go with a Blue Sea "add a battery" kit. It includes a switch and a automatic charging relay. I haven't changed a battery since. I've attached a link to the kit and the schematics of how I have hooked up my dual bank charger.(diagram is copied from someone else.... not my idea or effort! I hope this helps.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...75?recordNum=1

IMG_0086.jpg
    -Blaine

2019 Makai
    2013 LSV (sold)
    1997 Bayliner 1850 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    During layup I disconnect both batteries completely

Dual bank switch does this with no tools, no concern of missing a cable come next trip. Just rotate a switch and done!

My point being, we need to help the OP resolve his dead battery during layup issue, before telling him a better way to use the batteries while on the water.

I wouldn't want to leave two batteries connected in parallel while not in use. You could be experiencing a self-discharge as a result (one battery draining/charging into the other). If you have a Perko battery selector switch like this: http://www.perko.com/catalog/battery...lector_switch/ I would recommend connecting your "stating" battery to #1, your "house" battery to #2 and all loads to the common just like diagram #1 in the product instruction sheet (except the only load they show is the starter).

For useage: Put switch to #1 to start engine. Move to All while engine is running to charge both batteries. Put switch to #2 while just hanging out. Then switch to off when you're done for the day. (Make sure that your bilge pump is connected directly to a battery and not through the switch). In reality, you could probably just switch all when starting but this way you have the option to use only one battery to start if the other is dead and when you're not running the batteries are disconnect to prevent draining.

You'd also have the option of connecting your accessories like amps directly to #2 battery terminals if it's more convenient. The risk is that if you have some constant load, it would drain that battery and you wouldn't have a way to disconnect it. I would be sure to verify that your amp is turning off when the HU turns off. Then even if #2 gets drained you still have a fully charged #1 ready to start.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold