Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OK great. Thanks guys. I don't mind turning a wrench but didnt wanna do that every weekend. I enjoy being able to do some maintenance myself, just makes you more aware of and better able to spot problems...so I'll probably have some questions!

One of which is: do I need to re-winterize the boat since we test drove it? The boat lives in central Alabama. Nothing below freezing coming for a couple weeks but didnt want to be careless and damage it.

I'll let the southern boaters elaborate, but if your low temps are still close to 30 with daytime highs well above that, you're parked in a garage, and the boat is covered, you probably won't need to. I've heard of guys just putting a shoplight under the boat cover to keep things warmer.

Winterizing is pretty easy, especially if you don't have a heater. Pull two plugs from the block, and pull the hoses.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

If you have a garage I wouldn't worry this late. Watch the forecast and drop a trouble light under the clamshell if it is below 28 or so. Supposed to hit 80 here next week.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    I'll let the southern boaters elaborate, but if your low temps are still close to 30 with daytime highs well above that, you're parked in a garage, and the boat is covered, you probably won't need to. I've heard of guys just putting a shoplight under the boat cover to keep things warmer.

Winterizing is pretty easy, especially if you don't have a heater. Pull two plugs from the block, and pull the hoses.
    ^^^ Yep. Pull the 2 motor plugs, 2 drive plugs, 1 muffler plug, and hoses around the cooling system. Get the water out of the bilge. There are some threads on here. Pretty easy.

If it's around 30 at night and warmer in the day, I've seen guys put a light in the hatch at night. Without pulling the plugs. That is NOT for me.

If a hard-freeze is coming, cold day/night, winterize it right by getting all the water out.

AL - you do not need just need all this antifreeze stuff. Too much work B/C you will be turning around in <2 months and using it a lot. Feb is almost gone, but there will be more cold on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Good word guys, thank you.

Do y'all do tune-ups every year? (Plugs, wires, timing, points, oil change, etc.)? I remember my Dad tuning up our older cars about once a year that had these old systems.

No way every year on tune ups. Yes way on oil change, v-drive oil and transmission fluid. There is a service chart in the owners manual. You can find the manual here (from home page, go to "Safety and Resources" then "Boat Archive" and find your year/model:

https://www.moomba.com/models/archive
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Great boats, simple to maintain and service and nice all around boat. Skis well and decent for wakeboard and surf. Definitely , change oil, tranny fluid and drain heater core if you have one, after that change fuel filter every second year and winterize according to what you deal with weather wise etc. follow maintenance schedule and the rest should fall in place. Wear and a little tear is part of boat life but with care can be kept to a minimum.. If you want other tips or hints about this boat hit me up.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Great boats, simple to maintain and service and nice all around boat. Skis well and decent for wakeboard and surf. Definitely , change oil, tranny fluid and drain heater core if you have one, after that change fuel filter every second year and winterize according to what you deal with weather wise etc. follow maintenance schedule and the rest should fall in place. Wear and a little tear is part of boat life but with care can be kept to a minimum.. If you want other tips or hints about this boat hit me up.
    +1 one that. You also should look at your cap (under-side), plugs, and plug wires when getting the boat out of storage. There are some different threads on here on when to change them. My cap and plugs are every 2-3 years - cheap and easy. You could also go longer depending on the yearly hours. I think the Indmar manual says 300 hours or annually. I would do annual if I had a carbed engine, not a MPI. Plug wires last a lot longer. You want to look for any frays on them. Another easy item to swap and buy online, but a good set will cost a few dollars.

Got it.

Ok, how in the world do you judge or know what HP and Carb vs. MPI the boat is? There were apparently 3 engine varieties but I can't tell which is which. A 310hp Carb, 320hp MPI, and a 340hp MPI according to the manual. I can see mine is the "Indmar Assault" and looks like a Holley carb but can't find any other clues.

With pics . . . . . . the only carb I ever see is on my 70 chevelle . . . . points too under there. Old school.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....mpi-325-or-340
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 02-23-2017 at 06:56 PM.