Thread: Mobius LS

Default Mobius LS

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to buy a Mobius LS (DD) 2002, but I was wondering how the boat perform for slalom ski. I'm not looking to buy a purist slalom boat, but I want to be able to try the course.
    I also like wakeskate and maybe try surf.
    What do you think about this boat ?
    Will the Outback with a tower be a better boat ? (It's also a family boat)

I believe the Mobius LS and Outback LS that year were the same hull. (The non-LS Outback was an older model that used to be the Outback LS in prior years.) The Mobius LS came equipped with the tower and possibly some ballast. As such, it would be an excellent slalom boat but you would want the tower for wakeboarding. It is not a great surf boat but you can definitely surf behind it. You will have to have ballast in the surfside walkways next to the clam shell. I would also make a "surf gate" as it really helps.

Look on this site under Safety & Resources, Boat Archive and look at the Specifications in the Owners Manual (same one for both models). You will see the specs are virtually identical. Good luck!
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Jimgo – An Outback equipped with the factory tower and ballast system is a fine boat for a family. You will enjoy it for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, and barefooting. It has plenty of power for pulling several people at a time. It’s rated for maximum passenger capacity of ten, but gets crowded with more than six at a time. It has the least amount of freeboard in the Moomba lineup, so learn how to navigate choppy / wavy water if running at a slow speed (like when you are picking up a fallen skier) and be ready to take some water over the bow if your timing is off. Because of the limited freeboard, I never tried equipping my Outback with the heavy ballast needed to surf. Others on the forum have, so maybe they can give you guidance. The LS (Mobius or Outback) may be a better choice if you are more inclined to board and surf than you are to ski. All in all, our Outback was the perfect boat for our family and friends. Good luck! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

The only boat in the lineup for course skiing is the Outback. We owned one and it was a great boat. Still my wife's favorite boat to drive although we don't own it anymore.

Course skiing is such a different game than getting out behind a boat and swerving back and forth tossing up a big spray for onlookers to admire. I say that because I know that for real!!!!

I thought I was a good skier until I started course skiing and was humbled so fast I almost wanted to quit skiing LOL Thank hell I still had desire and have run down the line to 32 off and my goal this year is to run 35 off.

Course skiing requires a boat that tracks well and has as minimal wake as possible. The Outback we owned had a great wake the issue was it didn't have speed control ie: Perfect Pass or Z/O. Hate to sound down on a boat we liked but the Moomba cruise is a joke really and even for free skiing didn't work well.
    Had I known back then what I know now as a result of moving from one country to another and from open water to a private ski community I would have very much considered keeping our Outback and upgrading it to Perfect Pass or Z/O.

I guess my point is decide what you want to do the most with your boat? If you only want to course ski a little bit you might be better off to find a friends with dedicated ski boats and share some rides to attack orange buoys - the sport is not cheap and I only justify my spending because I ski LOTS!
    Hope that helps............and good luck!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!