Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hull defect

That's terrible. Any chance that during the detailing/buffing it got hot enough to warp, maybe with some interaction of the amp bracket behind it?
    2008 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    That's terrible. Any chance that during the detailing/buffing it got hot enough to warp, maybe with some interaction of the amp bracket behind it?
    No this part was not detailed. The detail work was only above the hull, this part wasn't touched to my knowledge. I've done a lot of research today and found that it certainly is possible that the piece of wood supporting the amp rack could have warped due to dramatic temp and humidity level change while the dealer had it outside. Whether that could have caused this I am no expert but seems possible. I am currently waiting on a call from SC to see what the next step is. The dealer sent all the info off and requested they contact me directly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

is the amp rack made of wood? I thought it was starboard/plastic material.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    is the amp rack made of wood? I thought it was starboard/plastic material.
    The rack itself and the pieces attaching it to the hull are all carpet covered and I have not had them out. The pieces attaching it to the hull look very much like a 2x4 shape so I would assume wood but please don't quote me on that.

A buddy of mine suggested pulling the rack and see if I can get the attachment/support pieces off and see if maybe relieving the pressure would help but that would involve unhooking 4 amps, battery charger and positive terminal station for something I am not sure can be removed.

I just called the dealer to share my current frustration and the gentleman I need to speak with is gone until Tuesday. This dent cannot be fixed. I still have some swirls in my paint even after an extensive Polish, and if they have to replace the hull all together through warranty it just won't feel like mine anymore. Sucks...

call SC directly - don't wait for Tuesday. If nothing else, see if the folks at Atlanta Marine will let you talk with Adam in service. He's awesome.

seems odd that they can't get those swirls out. folks on here have done a little wetsanding themselves and results have been outstanding. if that didn't work for them, they should have done a total gelcoat repair. I've seen before & after of serious damage and the work has been so good, you'd never know anything has happened to the boat.

I can assure you the folks that had the boat did not cause it. Also, your oem amp rack is not wood. There is no wood on your boat.

Curious to see what SC says because like I said, my SE looks identical.

As far as pulling it to relieve pressure, the factory amp rack can be removed with just a handful of screws from those supports we're talking about. You can leave everything intact and set it right on the floor.

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Dusty, is yours as dramatic and did you mention it to the dealer? I am curious what you were told if so. I've had random neighbors notice this indent without even being asked which is killing me, I can see it towing in the rear view and it is defiantly new in the last couple months. If I were to pull the rack itself, are the pieces attaching the rack to the hull also removable?

I have not spoken to the dealer about it. I will take some good photos so you can compare when we get back in town. The supports in the boat do not appear to be removable at all

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    I have not spoken to the dealer about it. I will take some good photos so you can compare when we get back in town. The supports in the boat do not appear to be removable at all

That would be great, thanks! The supports is what I was worried about, I don't think taking the rack itself is gonna so anything. I'm just at a loss as to why it happened now and was not like this from the factory. I have looked at every pic I have which is A LOT in different lighting and angles and it defiantly wasn't there

This whole situation reminded me of a conversation I had with my sales rep when I picked my boat from the dealer during -35 Celsius weather. I asked him whether trailering 3 hrs in that frigid temperature could pose any risk to my hull or gel. He told me that extreme temperature shock can cause issues. He went on to say that they have a protocol for introducing boats back into that climate after being inside during winter months. I believe he said the process took over an hour and they had a service bay dedicated to slowly introducing each boat back to the frigid temperature. Basically just opening the door for certain periods of time to allow slow cooling. Not sure if this is what happened in your situation, but maybe if you tactfully approach both businesses that handled your boat, you can find if either of them did that....

Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but, hopefully that gives you some ammunition to get this issue resolved.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.