Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hull defect

Default Hull defect

So as some of you know, I had a rough go with my boat this winter. Well, half of it is taken care of and half now isn't. The heavy swirls left in my gel coat from thr dealer doing a poor detail are polished and at least OK looking now, but DEFINITELY not as nice as before the crap buff job was done. The boat was flawless when I left it.
    But I am now left with a very bizarre huge dent in my hull that I have no explanation for. I have hundreds of pictures and video from different angles over the last year and a half proving it was not there prior to being stored at the dealer for warranty work from November through late January in Colorado. The boat has never seen below 40 degrees prior to this but after picking it up we found this huge basketball size dent. I have never seen anything like it, nor has the dealer as they claim, nor the local boat body shop. My understanding is that the dealer is submitting the info to SC to see what they say but I am left with this huge dent. Even the dealer admits that I am way too anal of a person not to have noticed this before now. My question is this, anyone here ever seen or heard of fiberglass hulls warping (specifically where this has happened) and what may have caused it? The dealer said if it ends up being a warranty issue that could be as far as a hull replacement which makes me extremely uneasy as I was ridiculously upset about simply swirls in my gel coat. I fear that if it comes to a hulk replacement I am gonna ditch this thing and go back to Tige.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

From the rear. I'm at a total loss....

That is so bizarre. You're having a rough go it it this winter. I've never need anything like that before. We regularly stored our old mastercraft in -40c for many winters and never had any kind of issue like that. You've got me nervous now, because my craz sat at the dealer during almost exactly the same time frame, during extreme cold. Has nobody got any sort of explanation for you? There doesn't look to be any sort of strike mark.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    That is so bizarre. You're having a rough go it it this winter. I've never need anything like that before. We regularly stored our old mastercraft in -40c for many winters and never had any kind of issue like that. You've got me nervous now, because my craz sat at the dealer during almost exactly the same time frame, during extreme cold. Has nobody got any sort of explanation for you? There doesn't look to be any sort of strike mark.

The guy at Mountain marine who polished out the swirls said he could not see any signs of a covered up impact. He said the original eggshell was there which I can't tell either way but to me and my friends all agree is does look more dull around that area. There are no spider cracks or anything either. But it definitely was not there before November, zero chance at all. I spend an hour cleaning this thing each time out, I would have noticed a basketball size dent in the hull. Salt on the wound was my wife just went "it looks worse" when I brought it home today after being gone a week at the detail shop.

Man, that is so depressing. Short of replacing the boat, I don't think I would be satisfied with any remedy. That's way too big of a purchase to be uneasy about. I bet that new tige R23 is looking very tempting right now.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

My point exactly. If I ditch the moomba it will be a r22. That is as big as I could get in my garage and good bang for buck. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by jtatexc View Post
    Salt on the wound was my wife just went "it looks worse" when I brought it home today after being gone a week at the detail shop.
    Ouch. Sucks. Looks like something ran into it.

Living up north when I grew up, never seen a boat and cold do this. Contact SC and work with them.
    It's the one side correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Ouch. Sucks. Looks like something ran into it.

Living up north when I grew up, never seen a boat and cold do this. Contact SC and work with them.
    It's the one side correct?
    Yes it's just the one side. The shop it went to has a good reputation and said he didn't think it was hit, but I had 3 other people swear it had to have been.

From what I can tell, if you were in the boat that intention is exactly where the kick out is that runs from the top of the hull cap down to the floor, the same kickout your stock or modified amp rack is mounted too. Is that right?

I have a similar look where the two are on my SE. The amp rack side of the boat, port, is more noticeable than the starboard side.

Last edited by dusty2221; 02-15-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    From what I can tell, if you were in the boat that intention is exactly where the kick out is that runs from the top of the hull cap down to the floor, the same kickout your stock or modified amp rack is mounted too. Is that right?

I have a similar look where the two are on my SE. The amp rack side of the boat, port, is more noticeable than the starboard side.

I went out and sure enough it is right where the amp rack ends and is slightly wider than the amp bracket is mounted. The only thing though is that I know for sure it was not there before. Could the wood on the rack have warped and caused it?