Default Battery Recomendations

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything specific to this topic so I'm starting one. My batteries needs replaced, current ones are the standard Interstate which I can get from Costco for a decent price. Just curious, if I have to spend $200 on batteries are there other options I should consider?

My boat is a 2013, so I should've gotten more life out of them.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

All batteries are basically made by 2 or 3 manufacturers and then the terminals, packaging and label are put on for each brand. The point is that a name brand and generic are nearly identical products. I've always used AGM batteries ("sealed", "premium", Optima style) and had good luck. Standard lead-acid seems to last 3-5 years, AGM seems to last 5-7+ years. The AGMs are more expensive but I think a better long term value as I get about 2x the life from them. The last one I bought was the Advanced Auto store brand, I had a coupon and they give a rewards club rebate.

"Marine" batteries are built to withstand more deep discharges, than regular automotive ones. I use standard automotive for the starting battery as we don't use it to pump tunes all day only on battery until it is drained. If you do, consider a marine battery otherwise save your money.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

A good quality group-24 wet cell lead acid will typically serve well for most cranking bank applications. For the 2nd battery or bank, it depends on how its setup and how its used. For some, a dual purpose marine battery is all that needed on both banks while others need a dedicated house bank will a high amount of Ah. This could come from one or two wet cell deep cycle, AGM or even a pair of 6V golf cart batteries.

do you keep a battery tender on them at all? I usually keep mine plugged in if the boat is sitting for more than a couple of weeks. I have a built in charger that seems to work great.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    do you keep a battery tender on them at all? I usually keep mine plugged in if the boat is sitting for more than a couple of weeks. I have a built in charger that seems to work great.
    No power in the storage unit. When it's at the house I would have a tender on them. Can't remember how many times we had to jump start the boat last summer. Seemed fine once running but would not last a week in storage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig