Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    122

    Default Improving Ballast Fill/Drain Times

    Looking for options to decrease my fill and empty time on my 2016 moomba mojo. My current system:

    1100lb rear lockers
    400lb under seats
    700lb center hard tank
    500lb bow sac

    The 400lb sacs under the seats are piggy backed off the 1100s in the rear lockers. Each fill and drain through a factory stock Jabsco reversible pump, one for each side.

    The bow sac is piggy backed off the center hard tank. This fills and drains through a single factory stock Jabsco reversible pump.

    So basically I have 3 pumps total and the most one has to fill is 1500lbs. This takes roughly 14.5 min. I believe the factory stock pumps are the "Ballast Puppy" pumps. Would it be worth swapping these out for the "Ballast King" pumps? Could I add three more "puppy" pumps in parallel to decrease time? Is there any other options I am not seeing? I am not very comfortable drilling more holes in the boat but may entertain the idea if no other options make sense.
    2016 Mojo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Park City, Utah
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    14.5 minutes is really good for the amount of water you are pumping in.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I basically have the exact setup that you do. I am adding a 4th reversible pump. I'm using the center drain plug as the thru hull, so no drilling. I am using the added pump to fill the bags under the rear seats. I'm going to use one pump and one wye fitting to fill and drain both bags at the same time. I will vent into exsisting vent lines.
    If I want to list to one side or the other, I can let ballast out of rear locker bags.
    Total parts via WakeMaker using coupon code is $550.
    2015 Mojo
    Autoflow 2.0
    4700 lbs ballast

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    122

    Default

    I like it! Thanks for the info. May have to do the same.
    2016 Mojo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-chance View Post
    I basically have the exact setup that you do. I am adding a 4th reversible pump. I'm using the center drain plug as the thru hull, so no drilling. I am using the added pump to fill the bags under the rear seats. I'm going to use one pump and one wye fitting to fill and drain both bags at the same time. I will vent into exsisting vent lines.
    If I want to list to one side or the other, I can let ballast out of rear locker bags.
    Total parts via WakeMaker using coupon code is $550.
    Can you provide a parts list? especially the connection with the center drain?

    Thanks.
    Bill
    2015 Mojo Surf Edition
    1100 rear lockers
    400+ under each rear seat
    700 stock center
    950 ibs
    autoflow 2.0 surf tab upgrade
    FAE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    5

    Default

    2015 Mojo
    Autoflow 2.0
    4700 lbs ballast

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PuraVida View Post
    Could I add three more "puppy" pumps in parallel to decrease time?.
    This probably wouldn't be practical. Each pump will pull about 12-15 amps while running. If you went to 6, you'd need about 75A: alternator, batteries, etc... You could add some aerator style pumps to fill with. I'm with sivs1, I think I'd be happy to fill 4000lbs in less than 15 minutes. If you really don't want to wait, just start surfing at 10 minutes and let it go from great to awesome in the next 5 minutes!
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-chance View Post
    I basically have the exact setup that you do. I am adding a 4th reversible pump. I'm using the center drain plug as the thru hull, so no drilling. I am using the added pump to fill the bags under the rear seats. I'm going to use one pump and one wye fitting to fill and drain both bags at the same time. I will vent into exsisting vent lines.
    If I want to list to one side or the other, I can let ballast out of rear locker bags.
    Total parts via WakeMaker using coupon code is $550.
    That's what I would do when adding a new pump for the bags under the seats - 400# each.

    I used this setup for my center and bow bag - an easy to reach wye valve on one johnson pump.

    Difference between 10 and 15 mins, no biggie for me. More time to finish my beverage.

    Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2007 Supra SSV 22'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Marquette, Michigan
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PuraVida View Post
    Looking for options to decrease my fill and empty time on my 2016 moomba mojo. My current system:

    1100lb rear lockers
    400lb under seats
    700lb center hard tank
    500lb bow sac

    The 400lb sacs under the seats are piggy backed off the 1100s in the rear lockers. Each fill and drain through a factory stock Jabsco reversible pump, one for each side.

    The bow sac is piggy backed off the center hard tank. This fills and drains through a single factory stock Jabsco reversible pump.

    So basically I have 3 pumps total and the most one has to fill is 1500lbs. This takes roughly 14.5 min. I believe the factory stock pumps are the "Ballast Puppy" pumps. Would it be worth swapping these out for the "Ballast King" pumps? Could I add three more "puppy" pumps in parallel to decrease time? Is there any other options I am not seeing? I am not very comfortable drilling more holes in the boat but may entertain the idea if no other options make sense.
    I tried adding a Ballast King to my boat for the bow, because it took a few more minutes to fill, but I found that the Ballast King requires a higher amperage to turn on than the control box provides. I think you would have to run heavier gauge wire direct from the battery and then use a relay to turn on and off.

    It would definitely speed things up, though.
    2019 Moomba Mojo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Fairfax, VA :(
    Posts
    916

    Default

    I have three reversables but have been thinking about swapping out for the Ballast King. I think they draw about 20A max per. Right now each pump runs at 15A so slight upgrades may be needed. It would be less upgrade cost and power wise than adding more pumps by only increasing overall load by 15A max. That is at startup and the draw should drop once started. The Ballast King fills 50% faster which will bring your time to <10 minutes. You won't need to use the drain plug or make any more holes.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •