Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

No straps on my 17 mojo
    dealer said they are not needed
    FAE Dealer Message me for a Discount!

2017 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4600LB Ballast- Enzo Bags & Lead
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    4 Rev 10 Tower Speakers

I'd ask your dealer if they would sign a waiver stating that they will cover any and all judgements against you should you get in an accident while towing the boat and are cited for failure to secure your load.

Your dealer isn't very smart, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by corvette8189 View Post
    No straps on my 17 mojo
    dealer said they are not needed

This is why you need straps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

If you're strapping down off the deck, you would still have the same scenario as in the picture minus the deck since the deck is a weak link. In fact, I bet a ratching strap could stress crack the deck if cinched down beyond 1,000 pounds on each side and absorbing the vibrations from running down the road. Only logical place is the transom.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Club Royale in Waterford, MI told me straps are not needed when I picked up my boat last year, nor a safety strap up front. Winch it and your good to go! Amazing... I opted to be a responsible boat owner and spend $50 for some straps.
    2011 Mobius LSV
    2005 Mobius LS (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BT_48170 View Post
    I opted to be a responsible boat owner and spend $50 for some straps.
    Your fellow freeway drivers thank you.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

More to that story then just straps I bet. I agree it sure wont hurt having straps but I believe the trailer would pretty much have to flip for the boat to go anywhere.

Fresh Air Exhaust
    4 Rev 10 Tower Speakers

Reply I got back from Moomba
    For the question on the trailer straps, you will probably find differing opinions on this. Different customers use their boats and trailer their boats in various ways so it might makes sense for some and not for others. The custom Boatmate Trailer for your Moomba is made to be a perfect fit for your boat so it should hold it nice. Also, due to the weight of the boat, the boat tends to settle on the trailer and not move very much at all. However, it never hurts to attach extra straps to the rear of the boat for safety reasons. I personally use the trailer straps every time I trailer a boat, no matter how far the distance. I would also recommend looking into your state laws for this as I know some states require the straps to be attached.

So in short, yes, I would recommend using the straps but no, it is probably not required (unless a state law). Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Then asked where to mount them.

The straps would run from the trailer to the D-rings located on the bottom side of the swim platform brackets. If the boat is loaded correctly and the straps are attached correctly there is very little stress in normal operation. The only significant stress that would apply is in an event in which you would need and rely on those safety straps. The swim platform mounts are attached into one of the most structurally sound parts of the boat and is highly reinforced. We have used these straps and connection points on our product for 4-5 years now without issue.
    Last edited by corvette8189; 02-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Fresh Air Exhaust
    4 Rev 10 Tower Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    If you're strapping down off the deck, you would still have the same scenario as in the picture minus the deck since the deck is a weak link. In fact, I bet a ratching strap could stress crack the deck if cinched down beyond 1,000 pounds on each side and absorbing the vibrations from running down the road. Only logical place is the transom.
    You should not be cranking these straps that tight. Just take the slack out and no more.

My cousin's boat slid off the trailer when he had to slam on the brakes. The front stop of the trailer failed and he was able to settle with a warranty claim. He did not have transom straps and it nearly cost him the warranty claim but fortunately it fell on the dealer who gave bad advise like above.

Think of it exactly like a seat belt. Under normal circumstances, you absolutely don't need it. But the one time you need it, you'll wish you had.
    Last edited by gregski; 02-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

gregski you are correct. I didn't elaborate any more as the message from Moomba gives the green light that everything is satisfactory with the platform bracket setup. They must have improved the mounting as my '98 platform would not be capable of securing the boat in a high G lateral or longitudinal movement. But then something more serious is happening with the vehicle where the boat is the least of concerns.

The straps would run from the trailer to the D-rings located on the bottom side of the swim platform brackets. If the boat is loaded correctly and the straps are attached correctly there is very little stress in normal operation. The only significant stress that would apply is in an event in which you would need and rely on those safety straps. The swim platform mounts are attached into one of the most structurally sound parts of the boat and is highly reinforced. We have used these straps and connection points on our product for 4-5 years now without issue.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD