Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I trailer and launch every time out so efficiency at the ramp is very important to me. I liked them (Boat Buckle retractable) so much I also got the retractable bow tie-down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BOATBUCKL...14220/42683706
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm not a fan of going to the platform because of the angle and likely stress on it. Isn't it only rated for like 300lbs? lol and we're strapping down a 5000lb boat on it. Plus I know on my older boats, without every strapping to the platform I've had stress cracks in the gel around the platform brackets.

My thoughts...but it's not like Moomba gave us any other option.
    Boatless for now

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm not a fan of going to the platform because of the angle and likely stress on it. Isn't it only rated for like 300lbs? lol and we're strapping down a 5000lb boat on it. Plus I know on my older boats, without every strapping to the platform I've had stress cracks in the gel around the platform brackets.

My thoughts...but it's not like Moomba gave us any other option.
    Hooking to the platform may meet state requirements but the platform won't hold the boat down. I would want the weakest point to be the strap rather than the platform so I wouldn't recommend getting anything fancy for tie downs in that case and not cinch them down very tight. I seldom use tie downs except for road trips and that is to make it look like I have "secured the load." Fluorescent green jet ski tie downs does the trick but I don't have the hardware down below so they are connected to the transom.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Good points. I do make it a point not to make mine tight.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Retractable in the rear and boat buddy up front

That seems like it would add a lot of pressure on the platform and the brackets that attach to the boat but not necessarily hold the boat secure.

I have had my straps over the surf tabs to the transom eyes for 2 seasons and trailer my boat everyplace. I know there is risk of stress on tabs and wear to the straps but the weight of the boat on the trailer and good towing habits eliminate 90% of potential stress. I do not like the idea of using swim platform brackets for tie down. The transom eyes are engineered to handle the stress. Wish I could figure out how to put up good pic but still have not learned how.
    Work to live!!
    2015 mondo
    Aviator tower
    Auto flow
    94 rinker 180 gone

The platform itself might only be rated to 300# (wood, fiberglass, etc) but the bracket connection to the transom is pretty stout, I'd even say that it is better than the lifting eyelets. Remember too that you shouldn't be cranking these tie downs super tight, just snug them up.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I bought the erikson straps and after about a year, they stop retracting. I've had 2 sets quit their spring-loaded retract. That reminds me to contact the manufacturer again to get my 2nd set replaced...

they were half the price of the boatmates, but they're certainly not lasting...

Well, I just got notification that Erickson is shipping me a replacement set of ratcheting tie downs. I am not thrilled with their reliability, but at least they have good customer service and stand behind their product.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

fyi, bass pro shops brand is just a restickered boat buckle
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart