Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When it's time to pull your cooling impeller and change it, i HIGHLY recommend that you get an impeller puller. I've done it without and I mangled the old one with vice grips. It took a long time and I had to add some silicone to get it to budge.

With the impeller puller, it just cranks it out and is SO much easier. Yeah, it's an expensive tool, but it's worth my sanity to have something that makes it 10x easier.
    I don't regret spending the $47 on the puller.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-66004...mpeller+puller

Also, when it's time to put the new impeller back in, you can take a zip tie and use it to "pre bend" the fins so that it slides into the hole easier. Just a trick that a forum member taught me that I liked. As you work the new impeller in, the zip tie gets pressed off the outside of the impeller and comes off.

Yes, you have reversible pumps. somewhere between the inlet thru hull valve (you pictured) and the place where they connect to the ballast bag, there is a reversible pump inline. your bags fill and drain from the same hole in the bottom. That's why you have timers for fill and empty. or you can listen for a change in tone in the sound of the pump motor that will tell you when it's not really pumping water anymore. That said, it is possible to add more hose, some check valves and some holes in the side of your boat to have "above water line draining". Wakemakers has a design layout on their website. It's certainly NOT necessary, but I only have 1 reversible pump on my boat and I like to "see and hear" the water draining from the side of my boat above water line. Just a preference thing.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR Josh View Post
    Congrats on the new boat! Looking at the plate the boat came from AZ and now in UT?
    Yep. We feel we found a good deal so we made the drive to Mesa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Moomba LSV

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    When it's time to pull your cooling impeller and change it, i HIGHLY recommend that you get an impeller puller. I've done it without and I mangled the old one with vice grips. It took a long time and I had to add some silicone to get it to budge.

With the impeller puller, it just cranks it out and is SO much easier. Yeah, it's an expensive tool, but it's worth my sanity to have something that makes it 10x easier.

Also, when it's time to put the new impeller back in, you can take a zip tie and use it to "pre bend" the fins so that it slides into the hole easier. Just a trick that a forum member taught me that I liked. As you work the new impeller in, the zip tie gets pressed off the outside of the impeller and comes off.

Yes, you have reversible pumps. somewhere between the inlet thru hull valve (you pictured) and the place where they connect to the ballast bag, there is a reversible pump inline. your bags fill and drain from the same hole in the bottom. That's why you have timers for fill and empty. or you can listen for a change in tone in the sound of the pump motor that will tell you when it's not really pumping water anymore. That said, it is possible to add more hose, some check valves and some holes in the side of your boat to have "above water line draining". Wakemakers has a design layout on their website. It's certainly NOT necessary, but I only have 1 reversible pump on my boat and I like to "see and hear" the water draining from the side of my boat above water line. Just a preference thing.
    This is good advice. My dad always says, "There is no substitute for the right tool". I'll definitely get a puller.

2013 Moomba LSV

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Great looking boat, with all that snow and cold temps I'm hoping it is winterized? Correct???? Where in Utah are you?
    We are up in Syracuse but I work in downtown Salt Lake City. Yeah, we had the dealer winterize the boat before we ever took it away from Mesa.

Well I took your advice and I purchased the impeller puller tool and changed out the impeller this last weekend. It was surprisingly easy. You can see from the picture that the old impeller looks in very good shape still. It was a really tight fit. Are the fins supposed to be bent a little? I assume so...

2013 Moomba LSV

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Trayson,

I've got a quick noob question on the impeller puller: Is the one you tagged good for both the cooling impeller as well as the ballast pump impellers? Or do I need to use a smaller sized puller for the ballast pump impellers? I just bought some back up impellers for my ballast pumps so I want to have to right tool for the job when I need it

Quote Originally Posted by North Woods Mobius View Post
    Trayson,

I've got a quick noob question on the impeller puller: Is the one you tagged good for both the cooling impeller as well as the ballast pump impellers? Or do I need to use a smaller sized puller for the ballast pump impellers? I just bought some back up impellers for my ballast pumps so I want to have to right tool for the job when I need it

You will not need a puller for the ballast pumps impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    You will not need a puller for the ballast pumps impeller.
    +1 ^^^^

Those slide right off. Nothing like the motor impeller.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    +1 ^^^^

Those slide right off. Nothing like the motor impeller.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Cool, thanks gents .... this is why I love this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    Well I took your advice and I purchased the impeller puller tool and changed out the impeller this last weekend. It was surprisingly easy. You can see from the picture that the old impeller looks in very good shape still. It was a really tight fit. Are the fins supposed to be bent a little? I assume so...

The fins get bent as they spin in the same direction. normal. Keep the old one as a spare in case your new one ever fails on the water. Yes, VERY tight fit. if you would have tried w/o the puller you'd have wondered how the hell you'd ever get it out w/o mangling it. Puller is rad.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com