Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new hooptie to tow with...

well after 10 years- longest I have ever owned a rig- and just rolled 160k, felt it was time to retire the '00 ford f150 that I have been towing with. she's been a good ride but starting to show age and time to send it to a farmer that will work the piss out of it for the last few miles and then let it sit in a corner of a field forever.

went out and drove the big3. I am not one that cares what I buy so I was open to all 3 and tested towing variants of each one. goal was either a 16 or 17 with no more than 10k on the clock.

dodge was an outdoorsman pretty well loaded 16 and had a few miles. was unimpressed with this rig to say the least. felt the cheapest of the 3 and with the rear end gears, was 4-500rpm's higher than the other 2 at 60mph. sure that will tow better but since 90% of the time in the truck is spent not towing, decided it would be a thirsty pig. overall fit/finish did not feel up to the same as the other 2. sitting in the seat, really felt like I was in a truck from the view over the hood.

ford was a 4dr fx4 package and was loaded with everything but sunroof. 16 model with a few miles and had the 5.0. I know the 3.5 has more hp/tq but something tells me those engines are going to have more $$ in replacement costs over the years having owned a few turbo'ed rides. at $1300/ea for a turbo decided to stay with tried/true v8 technology and realistically it has all the power I will need.
    truck felt like the fastest of the bunch and with all the addons would do anything. the trailer assist with the dash knob was pretty darn cool. overall liked it. only truck with a true center console and buckets. other 2 were bench seats with fold down center. forward visibility was the worst of the group with the "a" pillars and the grab bars. truck came stock with wrangler 10ply tires which is good for towing but they had some highway noise.

chevy was a z71 missing a few options but has heated seats/remote start and most other options. 16 model with a few miles. it had, hands down, the most car-like ride of the 3 and was the quietest. tranny(6sp) felt like it was programmed for fuel economy as it didn't want to downshift as easily as the other 2 when your foot required additional power. had the best forward visibiliy of the 3.

in the end, chose the chevy for the quieter ride and still knowing it will tow the boat fine. it also looked the best to me but that's all personal opinion and all stated above is imo.

I know that the saying is pics or I don't own it but it was dark. going to snap a few this weekend when I pull it out to make room to finish detailing the ford and hopefully find it a new home.

all of this reminded me of how much I HATE the car buying process but it sure is fun to drive a new hooptie home...

here's a stock photo of the same rig... can't wait for spring to hook up the boat and see how she tows it....

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Congrats on new ride!
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Nah. Pics or it didn't happen.

Bowties, baby!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the new truck, Looks great. I have an 02 Chevy with 165K miles on it and know I am getting to the point I will have to upgrade soon, but am hoping to get a year or two more out of it if I can. Enjoy the new ride!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Congrats on the new ride! Should be a world of difference. I tend to drive em into the ground myself.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Welcome to the good side Scott! What color is it? If it's white then we'll have the same truck in a few years! Looking to get one with the 6.2L and 8 speed tranny when the times comes though. Bring it to Rob's house tomorrow
    2014 Moomba Mondo
    Indmar 409
    900 Sumo's
    750 IBS
    Wetsounds Three-some w/SD6

Very nice! Congrats.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Congrats, that's a sweet lookin' ride. Adding to the "New Tow Rig" theme, I picked up a new-to-me 2012 Porsche Cayenne S to do the heavy lifting for our 2014 LSV as well as our Ski Doo's (a pair of Grand Touring 900 ACE's). We've been using the wife's 2014 Audi Q7, but with a towing capacity of only 6,600lbs it's not a great tow vehicle. The Cayenne has a 4.8l 400hp engine with a 7,700lbs towing capacity, and the normally-aspirated V8 just feels better than the wife's 3.0l supercharged engine. Here are a few pics from New Year's while we were towing the sleds around the North Woods (and yes, my first mod on the Cayenne was the "Moomba Boats" sticker on the rear window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by North Woods Mobius; 02-04-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Congrats. I drove one as well when shopping back in December but ended up with another F-150, guess you could say I'm a Ford fanboy. Enjoy!
    Boatless for now

Oh man, Loooove the Cayenne

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold