Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Call me negative nancy but now ya'll are talking about a handful of holes in a $60k boat to put $10 lights on .....
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Call me negative nancy but now ya'll are talking about a handful of holes in a $60k boat to put $10 lights on .....
    Good thing I only have a $30k boat. They'll go well with my PPI amps and my DIY angel eye and plexiglass ring LEDs.

If we are talking about 6w cree LEDs, why does it really matter if they're affordable?

Don't forget I'm the guy that made Swiss cheese from my last boat with the custom NSS style surf system. And also made my own LED transom lights with resin.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Lol. That's why I'm waiting for trayson's xlv to be the guinea pig. These could be the Internets best kept secret.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    Lol. That's why I'm waiting for trayson's xlv to be the guinea pig. These could be the Internets best kept secret.....

Love it. I feel like I'm on the cutting edge, pioneering mods. But I guess I'm just a guinea pig
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    If we are talking about 6w cree LEDs, why does it really matter if they're affordable?
    I don't know what you mean?

I'm not knocking you trayson ... I'm just stating it seems crazy to punch a bunch of holes in a brand new boat and buy $10 lights. For less than 1 boat payment you could have the lights you know you want ...... but thats coming from someone who doesn't think the internets best kept secret costs less than dime bag.

I should also add where my perspective is coming from .... I'd bet (i dont know) that these lights would be weaker than my factory underwater lights. I'm not pleased with my factory underwater lights.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 02-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Love it. I feel like I'm on the cutting edge, pioneering mods. But I guess I'm just a guinea pig
    Haha don't take that the wrong way, man! I admire your ingenuity. I definitely appreciate that you know how to stretch a dollar, because I'm the exact same way. I wouldn't have bought the lights on your advice if I didn't think you were on to something.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

I don't know what you mean?

I'm not knocking you trayson ... I'm just stating it seems crazy to punch a bunch of holes in a brand new boat and buy $10 lights. For less than 1 boat payment you could have the lights you know you want ...... but thats coming from someone who doesn't think the internets best kept secret costs less than dime bag.

I should also add where my perspective is coming from .... I'd bet (i dont know) that these lights would be weaker than my factory underwater lights. I'm not pleased with my factory underwater lights.
    Well, I guess it depends on perspective of how much is "enough". On my last boat each of my transom lights was comprised of 30 SMD 5050's. And they were pretty decent once I had 6 of them. So these will exceed that by far.

However if I had Trinity River visibility of 6" in the murky water, if prob need your kinda flood lights.

I've never been shy about holes. Like people that won't drill holes for a license plate despite the fact that the holes are covered and never seen. Bring OCD about something that is never seen is a bit too neurotic for me. For example, I have an Audi S6 that I love, yet I chose to drill a hole in the dash and finish it off with a nice plastic grommet so that I could hardwire power for the car dock of my phone and also for my radar detector. It's a clean install, yet I know people that think I'm the devil because I drilled a hole in the dash. Honestly, I could care less because I'm not modding my car for the "next guy" that owns it; I'm modding it for what I like and what will be useful for me. Basically the same concept with my boat. I'm not arguing your perspective, because I totally get where you're coming from. Just figured I'd shed some Lumens on where I'm coming from.

And again, I don't have a new boat. It's a well loved 2008.
    Last edited by trayson; 02-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

However if I had Trinity River visibility of 6" in the murky water, if prob need your kinda flood lights.
    I don't know anything about the Trinity. My water is clean!

But yes, I agree with you on expectations. I tied up next to someone with seablaze lights and when I walked back to check mine out, I had to go make sure they were on! When I ran side by side with Dusty across the lake, I could see my wake was lit up a little, but the whole back half of his boat was lit up.

I could also be wrong about the ones you linked being weaker than the factory lights.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

As far as the economics...

Shadowcaster SCM-4 = 17 watts which means that ~3 of these ebay LED's will be about the same power draw and arguably about the same light. $30 vs $319.

Shadowcaster SCM-6 = 25 watts, which means that ~4 of these ebay LED's will be about the same power draw and arguably about the same light. $40 vs $419.

Shadowcaster SCM-10 = 42 watts, which means that ~7 of these ebay LED's will be about the same power draw and arguably about the same light. $70 vs $679.

So realistically 1/10th the price. I'm willing to take that gamble. And my boat payment is $231 for 6 years, so I couldn't get 1 shadowcaster for that. LOL.

But seriously, people, buy what you want! I have nothing but respect for boats with top end components. I just don't have deep enough pockets for that.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I don't know anything about the Trinity. My water is clean!

But yes, I agree with you on expectations. I tied up next to someone with seablaze lights and when I walked back to check mine out, I had to go make sure they were on! When I ran side by side with Dusty across the lake, I could see my wake was lit up a little, but the whole back half of his boat was lit up.

I could also be wrong about the ones you linked being weaker than the factory lights.
    For sure. Seablaze 3 lights are 32 watts, which means it'd take over 5 of these to equal one of those. That's a huge difference.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com