Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

hehe... trade secrets my son, trade secrets.

Ok so I tinker around with LED stuff a lot at home on vehicles, etc. I started with 2 of these guys when they were on sale and the results were pathetic. https://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light
    I have a fixed wake plate and wanted to mount everything as low as possible so that's where they ended up.

Next I did a little research on COB LEDs or Chip-On-Board LEDs and found some thin little light sticks that were exactly the size I wanted for the back of that wake plate. Thing is they get very hot when lit so they are typically mounted on a heat sink or something to dissipate the heat. I figured underwater would be plenty of cooling. For the life of me I can't remember what country / website I ordered these from but they only came in blue which was perfect for me. I want to say advertised lumens was 800-100 each.

I simply mounted these with industrial 2-sided tape. Then I soldered all the wiring down and covered with heatshrink to a single pair. Then removed one of the 3 screws that holds in my bilge drain flange. Ran the wires through, topped it off that hole with some Marine 5200 sealant, tied into my existing LED circuit, done.

I wish they came with a black backing but oh well. Pretty minimal impact overall. End result is decent.

Thought I had some other shots lit up in shallow clear water but can't seem to find them.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Yeah, how much power they consume tells a LOT. so about 1.5 watts. Meh. Not impressed.

I got a handful of these that are CREE and 6w each for just over $10 each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-6W-CREE...item2a5ef7e9c6

I haven't gotten around to installing them, but when I do, of course I'll report back.

I'm thinking about going in a different direction with my LED lights... Anyone interested in buying these? $80 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 states...

I might still do these... But I figured I'd put a feeler out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Put 6 of those on our RZR. Not bad - can't say how they'd do underwater...

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Shadow casters are really good but they are really high in Price..

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Yeah, how much power they consume tells a LOT. so about 1.5 watts. Meh. Not impressed.

I got a handful of these that are CREE and 6w each for just over $10 each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-6W-CREE...item2a5ef7e9c6

I haven't gotten around to installing them, but when I do, of course I'll report back.

I finally got around to installing these...

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Drilling edge with $10 lights . . . . . let the swiss cheese making begin and make sure to post pics this coming spring.
    I went a different direction with the mounting. I chose to only drill a single 1/4" hole in my hull to run a single wire through. I mounted each of my six lights to the vertical lip of the wakeplate. I figure if I'm going to make swiss cheese, it'd be on the wakeplate and not in my fiberglass.

I brought the 6 pos and 6 neg conductors from the lights together and spliced that into a master lead that would go through the hull. That splice I did inside of a section of ballast tubing and then encased the entirety of the splicing inside the tubing with silicone... so I feel pretty good about the wiring being waterproofed.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    Haha don't take that the wrong way, man! I admire your ingenuity. I definitely appreciate that you know how to stretch a dollar, because I'm the exact same way. I wouldn't have bought the lights on your advice if I didn't think you were on to something.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Well, I was going to just bail on the project, but I went ahead and did it...

Because I had six lights and intended on mounting them to the wake plate, I had to figure out where they'd go. the "center" section between the mounting bolts for the hydraulic actuators was a bit narrow for two lights. And I figured that if I eventually get a FAE, it'll be in the center of the wakeplate anyway.

So I mounted 4 lights facing aft, and then mounted one light on each side of the wakeplate shining port and starboard respectively.

I finished this last night, so I won't have any water pictures until tonight probably...

Here is a shot on the trailer. You can see 5 of the 6 lights at a time with the limitations of camera angle...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

water evening pics...
    I like the side dispersion...

with the wide angle lens. good dispersion, but will get better projection when I add the drain plug light I ordered.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com