Default Hertz hcp4 A/b vs kicker dx 400.4

Wondering which amp is better for powering two krypt 7.7 hlcd's. I picked up a dx 400.4 to power them, but my local stereo has a smoking deal on the hertz hcp 4 a/b class amp. It is rated at 190 rms @4 ohms, while the kicker is a full range D class amp rated at 200rms @ 4 ohms. I would really appreciate some input on this.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

I should add. Both of those ratings are with the amps bridged to 2 channels.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Can you confirm which dx 400.4 you have. The s/n on the back will show the year. Is it the 11DX400.4?

A few thoughts about these newer hertz amps. I got a quick look at them last year at CES. They look like the same amps as the polk PA, soundstream nano, NVX and a couple others. They all pretty much share the same guts. What does this mean? it means hertz or who ever's name is on it, didnt do one bit of R&D. That placed an order with a build house on what they wanted. Cheap controls and circuits, etc. So, you get what you pay for.

The next thing we see about this amp, is that i has a fixed hi-pass. Not only does this point to it being a price point amp, but it limits tuning. You either run full-pass or you lice with the fixed 80hz hi-pass. Now, in the case of a 7.7 HLCD only driven with 200W rms @ 14.5V, I dont see 80hz really being an issue.

Its class-A/B. Sooooo 20th century. The industry has moved on to class-D. WAY more efficient. This means much less battery consumption with class-D compared to class-A/B with the same watts output. This means longer play time, less load on the alternator, less wasted energy as heat.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Can you confirm which dx 400.4 you have. The s/n on the back will show the year. Is it the 11DX400.4?

A few thoughts about these newer hertz amps. I got a quick look at them last year at CES. They look like the same amps as the polk PA, soundstream nano, NVX and a couple others. They all pretty much share the same guts. What does this mean? it means hertz or who ever's name is on it, didnt do one bit of R&D. That placed an order with a build house on what they wanted. Cheap controls and circuits, etc. So, you get what you pay for.

The next thing we see about this amp, is that i has a fixed hi-pass. Not only does this point to it being a price point amp, but it limits tuning. You either run full-pass or you lice with the fixed 80hz hi-pass. Now, in the case of a 7.7 HLCD only driven with 200W rms @ 14.5V, I dont see 80hz really being an issue.

Its class-A/B. Sooooo 20th century. The industry has moved on to class-D. WAY more efficient. This means much less battery consumption with class-D compared to class-A/B with the same watts output. This means longer play time, less load on the alternator, less wasted energy as heat.
    The amp is about 30 km away in storage, so no easy to access. . Looks just like this..

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Ok, that looks like the 11DX4004. Its also class-A/B so thats a wash. The Kicker DX has an adjustable hi-pass filter compared to the fixed hi-pass on the hertz.

So, given you already have the DX400.4 and it has an adjustable hi-pass filter, id run it. No advantage to buying the other amp, at any price.