Default New 2003 Outback LSV

Hey everyone

Just picked up an '03 Outback LSV while 'just looking' at boats with my wife. Now that I have gotten to put some hours on it I had some questions.

* 3 bag bertha ballast system when filled causes the boat to pull hard to the right. I have tried starting the left / right at the same time and further adjusting the bags but it still pulls. Both bags appear to be full. When empty the boat tracks fine.

* How do you know when the ballast bags are full? We have just been watching and guessing.

* Side trim piece where hydraulic trim gauge and 'dummy' blank sit completely vibrated loose. Had to collect flat washers and nut from floor and reassemble. Also found nut from end of throttle linkage. Anyone else seen this? I have to put my throttle to 90 deg now to engage and get going.

* Service manager at dealer informed me that there was no break in period on the boat so I put it through it's paces first time out. It had 3 hours on it when I picked it up. Not sure if that was factory time - they said it hadn't been demo'd. Anyone have bad experiences from doing this?

Other than those issues I love the boat. Waiting on my tower speakers, board racks, and depth finder to come in. Sad thing is I am recovering from a fractured wrist and being the boat driver all the time sucks!!! Sorry for such a long post but I like talking about my new boat!
    Larry L
    '03 Outback LSV

Default new boat

Regarding your new engine.....check the Indmar owner's manual the came with all your other paperwork. It will describe the lenght of your break in period along with the RPM limits for the duration. It's also advised not to go the same speed for a long time, it's important to vary it. Don't forget the required oil change after the break in period, your dealer MUST do this to maintain your warranty. Have him fix your throttle while he has your boat, and be sure to point out anything else that needs attention. Enjoy your new boat!

Brian

Default Ballast bags

Anyone have ideas on the boat pulling right with the ballast bags full? The only thing that makes sense to me is that the right side is heavier than the left... unless the location of people in the boat makes a huge difference with the ballasts full.

Thanks!
    Larry L
    '03 Outback LSV

My boat pulls to the right when the bags are empty or full. If I'm doing over about 25 MPH, the pull is severe enough to spin the boat. I thinks that's due to prop wash over the rudder. Sorry, I know that's not much help. I've been told that having your rudder milled by an prop shop will reduce pulling regardless of speed or weight. If my boat is overweighted to one side, it just lists to that side. I don't notice any addition pull. Also, I know my ballast bags are full when water starts squirting out the drain holes on the transom. Good luck and enjoy you new boat!
    Cola - '03 Outback LSV

Orginally posted by cola

My boat pulls to the right when the bags are empty or full. If I'm doing over about 25 MPH, the pull is severe enough to spin the boat. I thinks that's due to prop wash over the rudder. Sorry, I know that's not much help. I've been told that having your rudder milled by an prop shop will reduce pulling regardless of speed or weight. If my boat is overweighted to one side, it just lists to that side. I don't notice any addition pull. Also, I know my ballast bags are full when water starts squirting out the drain holes on the transom. Good luck and enjoy you new boat!
    Thanks for the help. The Moomba documentation could use some help for sure. Press the fill button to fill the ballast and then DO NOT OVERFILL! below made me hesitant to let the bags run full.
    Larry L
    '03 Outback LSV

Default re: oil change

Ed,
    I thought Bob told me that the first oil change had to be done by the dealer to fulfill warranty obligations, but I could be mistaken. He did tell me I can do my own oil changes and keep the warranty intact (must use the required Pennzoil Marine Grade Racing Oil) as long as I have receipts for the oil and write down when it's changed. I buy the oil in bulk from Bob (it's hard to find elsewhere) and write down in the owner's manual the date and hours on the boat when the oil change was done. I also switched from the Pennzoil filters to Purolater 1.....there's lots of oil filter reviews on the internet and Pennzoil, Fram and some others didn't fair so well. The Purolater was rated the highest, so I made the switch.

Brian