Default Buying a boat out of state

I'm looking at a 2013 Mojo. I'm in Utah and the boat is in Arkansas.

Would I have to pay sales tax on a used boat? Theoretically, is there a way around it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Moomba LSV

Default Buying a boat out of state

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I'm looking at a 2013 Mojo. I'm in Utah and the boat is in Arkansas.

Would I have to pay sales tax on a used boat? Theoretically, is there a way around it

Is it a private sale? If so, then no, unless your laws are different than in Colorado. If it's a dealer sale, my experience is you only pay tax on the trailer sale, as you have to license it. Either way, It would be worth trying to get a bill of sale that spells out what the trailer is being sold for versus the boat, as that will help at triller licensing time.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

That is how Arkansas works, but I'm not sure that matters. It will be based on Utah or where you license it.

I agree on assigning a trailer price.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

On the Bill of Sale you could say it cost you 100$. Then sales tax would be cheap.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    Is it a private sale? If so, then no, unless your laws are different than in Colorado.
    Not quite. Colorado law requires you to pay tax on all out-of-state purchases. Your point is that in CO, the DMV is only authorized to collect tax on the trailer since boats are not vehicles here. Just because no one pays the tax doesn't mean that the law doesn't require it. The last time I was at the DMV, the clerk made a comment that most every boat in CO is rolling on a $100 trailer.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Washington State does it for you. They don't care if you underpaid, overpaid or got the boat/trailer for free, they charge the taxes based on the book value in their database. Waivers to the book value are based on some legal documents that requires some work and time to get.

It is the receiving state to where the fees and taxes are usually paid. Save and document any fees or taxes paid from the state your transferring from as those costs are normally written off on the other end.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

You will have to pay sales tax on what is written as the sales price on the Bill of Sale. You will also have to pay the registration fees. If I'm not mistaken you will have to bring the boat down to the DMV so they can verify the hull # matches the paperwork. I could be wrong on that but a quick call to the DMV can verify that.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I assume most states would collect the tax when you go to license it from the bill of sale or they will have a database for the values.

A lot easier if you pay cash to avoid the tax.

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    On the Bill of Sale you could say it cost you 100$. Then sales tax would be cheap.
    You could buy snyders mojo for a good price once he goes to jail for tax evasion!! Joking of course. My life experiences tell me that I am going to get poked with tax no matter what tactics I use.

2017 Supra SA

You can write off the sales tax for those who itemize their Federal tax return and do not have a state income tax.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD