Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Options for aviator tower speaker upgrades

Hey I got into a 16 Mojo at the end of season with the aviator tower with factory Roswell 6.5(?) cans. Does anyone have suggestions on an upgrade that's going to get good sound at wakeboard length within those cans? What workable other options are there besides a pair of Rev 8s? I'd like to be a little cheaper than the Wetsounds stuff.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I know it's a brand that's not usually discussed on here, but I picked up a set of krypt hlcd 7.7's with enclosures for $450. I haven't hooked them up yet, but I've talked to a number of guys who are very pleased with them.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

With the desire to retain the factory 6.5" pods, your wake range options are super limited. You are going to sacrifice pretty much all sound quality for everyone in the boat. This is especially true for those lower mounted pods. You are limited to the Kicker KMS67. We've talked about the two main issue wuith these. 1) the compression driver may not fit the pod due to depth and 2) with pods so far apart, the mid-bass is going to sound so detached due the distance away from the tweeter. This is going to allow the tweeter to dominate and be very harsh so those in the boat. The next option is the krypt 6.5" HLCD. Two pair of these with porper wattage, will certainly reach wake range, but man, are they going to scream.

I have a pair of krypt 7.7 as well as a pair of krypt 6.5 on my tower and am really pleased with them! Louder than hell and very clear. Great bang for buck imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah Mike. Thanks. Just curious about others. Looks like HLCD isn't an option without going to different cans. What are the can options for the Krypts? Will 2 of the 7.7s be enough? I did the eyeball test and don't think the kicker KMS67 pods would fit the aviator tower.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

I had two pairs of the 6.5 Krystal on my last boat and it was awesome at wakeboard distance. Totally blew away my buddies boat who had two 8" wetsounds at the same distance. Some people poo poo them, but for the money at that size they are hard to beat. Just make sure you have plenty of power running them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Would the in boat sub (10" yet to be installed) mitigate the loud highs of if the 6.5 krypts any for in the cabin?
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Would the in boat sub (10" yet to be installed) mitigate the loud highs of if the 6.5 krypts any for in the cabin?
    Not a chance. The sub will compliment, it won't come close to diminishing the Krypts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

BigO,
    You should expect that a large portion of people are always going to preach, "buy what I bought...they are great."

I'm going to strongly recommend that you avoid all 6.5" HLCDs. The horn tweeter is loud enough to project to wake distance, but not the midbass driver. The sound screams but is hideously poor sound quality....especially near field.

Make some compromise in order to have a lasting investment, whether the compromise be in peak projection or budget.

Orange,

The sub will not really help with 4 6.5" HLCD on the tower. First, you will need 3 zone volume control. You need to be able to turn the in-boats down, towers up and woofer up, in order for the woofer to even be in play, without the passengers being blasted by in-boat volume. next, whats still going to be missing, is the mid-bass. The woofer will supply some bass, but there will be no mid-bass.