Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Agree some with that. If you are already dropping $$, may as well get it right first time. That being said, going away from my current cans, what are the best options moving up through pricing to a pair of Rev8s?
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Also, pertinent to above post -- the Krypt 7.7s have been recommended already (thanks).
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Kicker, Exile, and JL are the obvious options not yet mentioned. Each of them make an 8" pod.

Are you wanting to go back with 2 speakers or 4? I'd give thought to going to the Rev10 and only doing a single pair if it were me.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

BigO,
    Since you expressed budget as an important part of the equation, you must include amplifiers in your decision. HLCDs have horn tweeters that can easily be 10 dB louder (like at least twice as loud as you perceive it), however, their midbass drivers typically have larger midbass voice coils resulting greater power handling but also lower sensitivity. Thus most HLCDs require a larger amplifier. For example, to get the speaker's full potential, a Wetsounds Icon8 might package with an amplifier having 60% the power of an amplifier that would package with a Wetsounds Rev8. So look at tower speaker costs in the context of the package. Not knowing exactly what amplification you have now, it's unlikely it will translate to a tower speaker upgrade.

10-4. With you on proper powering.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Curious how this setup would be viewed by the experts: Two of the Krypt 7.7 HLCDs for starters, allowing for additional set of Krypt 6.5 coaxial for mid-bass for surf distance. This entire setup could be had for ~$700 via quick web-scan. Next up would be pair of refurbed Rev10's going up over $1K.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

I personally ordered a single pair of Rev10's to install on my Craz. I had Icon8's on my last boat, which were fine, but I wanted only one pair to maximize headroom and as the saying goes, bigger is better! In the grand scheme of things the additional outlay of cash is minimal, especially when you consider the overall cost of the boat plus likely better resale with Wetsounds versus Krypt. Just my 2 cents.
    Boatless for now

If you can find a deal on rev 10's they are definitely the best option, but you are now a FAR cry from your original budget I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Curious how this setup would be viewed by the experts: Two of the Krypt 7.7 HLCDs for starters, allowing for additional set of Krypt 6.5 coaxial for mid-bass for surf distance. This entire setup could be had for ~$700 via quick web-scan. Next up would be pair of refurbed Rev10's going up over $1K.
    Never been a fan of a hybrid system or mix of HLCD and coaxial. To start with, to do it properly you need at least 4 amp chnls. Two for the HLCD and two for the coaxial. This adds to the overall cost as well as needed space for that additional amp. Now, being that the goal of a hybrid setup is to add mid-bass in order to compensate for the lake of mid-bass from from the HLCD or compensate for the overly aggressive HLCD, once you factor in the cost of that pair of coaxial and 2nd amp, you are likely in the neighborhood of a single pair of larger HLCD. A larger pair of HLCD does both. Add the extra mid-bass and compensates for the dominate HLCD.

Next, a single pair of 6.5" coaxial are going to do little to add mid-bass to a properly powered pair of krypt 7.7. The HLCD is very dominate and overly "bright". What you would really want is an 8" mid-bass woofer w/out tweeter. So, that extra money, amp space and battery power to drive those 6.5", will not really give you a return on that investment.

That $700 for four pods is getting you into the one pair of Rev-8 range. These will give you your wake range projection and MUCH better near field SQ than those 7.7. Id go two pair of 8" coaxial, like the Icon-8 or Kicker KM8, before that hybrid mix. Drive it with the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2 or similar.

refurb Rev-10s north of $1K?????? Hmmm

Ok, so I see a pair of Rev10's on Amazon for under $1K and Ebay as well (from an authorized dealer on Ebay). Those were the fixed clamps. Are there any particular mounting options that are a must for the Aviator?
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE