Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding USB & Cig plugs?

So I plan on adding some outlets around the boat. I was looking at this....

Guoke Dual Usb Phone Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter Socket Set Splitter 12v 2.1a Charger Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBKO2YY..._KKiEyb8YQ4NBV

Or similar if anyone recommends something else?

I would not be using the plate that comes with it but just drill individual holes to mount each separate. They have a locking nut on the back side.

Here's my locations I want to add stuff.
    Port Locker - one of each
    Port Speaker Niche - one of each near each speaker
    Bow Port Speaker Niche - pending size and depth only USB
    Bow Starboard Speaker Niche - pending size and depth just the cig plug.
    Starboard Speaker Niche - USB only

Anyone have any suggestions or think of better locations?

Real question is how to wire these? Can I just tap into the existing cig plug on my dash or in glove box? Or do I need to add a fuse or what?

What gauge wire should I use? Can I use standard 16awg speaker wire? What connectors do I need?

The USB's can't draw very much and I can't see myself using more than one cig plug at a time. Maybe if I had a second pump for extra bags but I don't think so. Mostly use to blow up rafts and extra bags.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

I'd think about adding a fuse to each side or split front/rear. If you blow it you still have the other side.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Brett,

The one question is what is the ACC rated for in terms of amps. This will determine the wire gauge for the most part. I would consider doubling the amp draw in anticipation of two ACC sockets being in use as once. Add 3A for the USB too.

Now, if i was installing multiple ports around a boat, I would likely divide them to a port side circuit and STBD side circuit. Daisy-chain from the furthest from the helm too the closest, then finish the runs to the helm. I would use a standard 2-conductor, like speaker wire, of the proper gauge. Once at the helm, I would terminate the circuits with its own circuit breaker of proper amperage on the B+ off the helm B+ supply and B- to the helm ground supply.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Brett,

The one question is what is the ACC rated for in terms of amps. This will determine the wire gauge for the most part. I would consider doubling the amp draw in anticipation of two ACC sockets being in use as once. Add 3A for the USB too.

Now, if i was installing multiple ports around a boat, I would likely divide them to a port side circuit and STBD side circuit. Daisy-chain from the furthest from the helm too the closest, then finish the runs to the helm. I would use a standard 2-conductor, like speaker wire, of the proper gauge. Once at the helm, I would terminate the circuits with its own circuit breaker of proper amperage on the B+ off the helm B+ supply and B- to the helm ground supply.
    I can't recall if my boat has spare breakers or not. Do most boats have extra breakers? Or do I have to buy one? Thanks!

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

May not have a spare per say, but maybe an unused ACC breaker for an option that was not installed on your boat. I would plan on buying two of the proper amp rating, one for each side. Looking at $20 for a couple of marine panel mount manual reset breakers.

May not have a spare per say, but maybe an unused ACC breaker for an option that was not installed on your boat. I would plan on buying two of the proper amp rating, one for each side. Looking at $20 for a couple of marine panel mount manual reset breakers.
    Can you point me in the right direction on amazon so I can order some? Thanks mike!

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

I also have 2-3 unused ACC switches under my dash that aren't doing anything. I replaced with my volume knobs

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Anyone know the best butt connector kit to buy on amazon? Something I can have spares for all my 12v needs

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Mike, could I just use the wire from my existing acc switches?

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

I would leave the switches and their wiring intact. The sockets dont need to be switched, but they do need circuit protection in the form of a fuse or breaker. Now, if those ACC switches have breakers and the switches are unused, you could re-purpose those breakers or the breaker spot, for the sockets. Just need to make sure the breakers are of the proper amp rating and its supply wire, if its not bolted to a BUS bar, is ample.