Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Default First Thoughts on Brain's Suck Gate ..

At the risk of over-inflating Brain's ego, I wanted to share my experience with his awesome suck gate this past weekend.

We were up at the lake over Memorial Day weekend and this thing works GREAT on our '14 LSV. It was just my wife and one of my sons (the other 2 boys couldn't make it up) so we had fewer bodies in the boat than we usually do. Bottom line is that the suck gate gave me both a taller and a longer wave, even without all the ballast. We normally go surfside 100% at 900lbs, non-surfside at 50%, hard tank 100% at 500lbs and IBS 100% at 500lbs, an extra 650lbs sac under the surfside seat plus the manual Flow at position #2 or #3. But with the suck gate I was able to forgo the extra 650lbs sac and I didn't even use the Flow and I still had a better wave. I also found that I was able to increase the speed a bit. Because the water was still pretty chilly up in the North Woods (58 degrees ) and I only had my shorty wetsuit, I didn't spend a lot of time messing around with different settings, but I'll tweak a few additional settings when we are back up in a few weeks to really dial in the wave.

I have to say that I wish I had bought one of these 2 years ago as the increased wave is significant on our '14 LSV! If you're on the fence about picking one of these up, I would highly recommend it as it's a lot cheaper and easier than adding more bags! My only suggestion is to make sure that you attach a line to the suck gate and clip it either to the cleat or the rear eye above the swim platform in case it slips out of your hand when you're attaching/detaching it from the side of the boat. It would be a cryin' shame to drop this thing to the bottom of the lake as I don't think this thing floats

Put a buoy on it. If you tie it to the cleat it may bounce into the boat or get drawn under into your prop. With the buoy it will be right there where it came off.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I live in Bostic, NC. I normally boat on lake James in Marion, NC

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    I have heard China is holding back production to cause a backlog thus controlling the suction handle business and leading them toward world domination.
    The suck gate revolution has began! Don't let china take over! lol
    2011 Xlv with 325hp and stock Gravity lll

Got to try ours out last weekend on our direct drive LS. Instant improvement in the wake. Before we had a short, steep wash, now it's much longer and clean.

We're only running the stock 400lbs in the rear with about 350lbs of people weight on the back bench, boat not listed. My son who is around 150lbs can go ropeless easily on any board. i'm over the 200 mark and am still not quite fast enough, even on a Gnarwhal. Next mod will be another 400-600lbs of weight somewhere.

I've found the suck gate sticks like it's glued on only if the hull is perfectly clean. If our boat is parked for more than a few hours on our lake, a thin film of slime starts to develop (not enough to see it, but it's there). Scrubbing good with a bare hand is enough to get it clean to secure the gate.

Thanks again, Dan!
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    Scrubbing good with a bare hand is enough to get it clean to secure the gate.
    Good tip, especially for vacation week at the lake!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Good tip, especially for vacation week at the lake!
    And one more related tip: it's possible to get it stuck on so well that the release tabs don't want to budge. When this happens, I just slide it down the hull until it reaches the crease or curve in the hull, then it comes right off.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Well, I haven't had that problem but will certainly remember if I do.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Appreciate the good feedback guys! I have kids that will keep my ego in check.

Everyone that sent payment has one arriving in the next day or two of you haven't already gotten it.

Still working on parts for the next round. I'll post up here first.

I want one when you have them back in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it helps. It looks like harbor freight has the handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk