Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt water

Default Salt water

Ok Folks, let me just start off by saying I will be a brand new boat owner soon. I have ordered a 2017 Moomba Craz. Been around boats on and off all my life but this will be my first to own.

With that being said I have searched on here for threads about putting inboards in salt water and most of the information is old or about older boats. My wife would very much like to go to her relatives that live on the bay. This would be maybe once a year for a few hours. Dealer said these boats are standard with closed loop cooling systems.

Here are the questions;
    Will this affect the bilge and ballast pumps?
    Also do you know if the marina's are capable of lifting the boat off the trailer and putting it in the water for me?
    With the new boats is there any thing that would need extra attention before and after using in salt water for that day?

Thanks in advanced for the help/advice.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Max Surf edition
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Ok Folks, let me just start off by saying I will be a brand new boat owner soon. I have ordered a 2017 Moomba Craz. Been around boats on and off all my life but this will be my first to own.

With that being said I have searched on here for threads about putting inboards in salt water and most of the information is old or about older boats. My wife would very much like to go to her relatives that live on the bay. This would be maybe once a year for a few hours. Dealer said these boats are standard with closed loop cooling systems.

Here are the questions;
    Will this affect the bilge and ballast pumps?
    Also do you know if the marina's are capable of lifting the boat off the trailer and putting it in the water for me?
    With the new boats is there any thing that would need extra attention before and after using in salt water for that day?

Thanks in advanced for the help/advice.
    Your boat has an internal closed loop cooling system for the motor, but that boat should use raw water pumped in to cool the exhaust manifolds. That should be flushed after each use. There are topics on how people use something called a 'fake-a'-lake' ($20-$40) for flushing the boat.

If you get salt water in the bilge, I would also flush that out so it does not get on the vdrive, bottom of the motor, or wire connections.

Most of the other stuff is what all salt-water boaters do:
    * Washing and wiping down the outside of the boat
    * Spraying the engine and electric with some type of protect

Per the marina question, it would depend on their equipment. When I lived in OH, the dry-stack storage had a sling to move boats around for an add'l charge. The boat ramp was MUCH easier for me. I have not done this with an Inboard, but I assume they would have to be more careful for the prop and other bottom stuff.

https://youtu.be/ncSk1NjWiMY

Lifting the boat off a trailer is not going to be an easy task. I used to dry rack a cruiser back in the day, and the design of the racks is much different to a trailer. Just use a boat ramp and avoid possible issue, especially bending the shaft with the use of slings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Not good advice above. Do not dip your trailer in salt water. You will live to regret it. Rent a boat when you visit. You won't have to tow. Put the saved gas money toward the rental.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That is something to consider. Thanks
    2017 Moomba Craz
    Max Surf edition
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Not good advice above. Do not dip your trailer in salt water. You will live to regret it. Rent a boat when you visit. You won't have to tow. Put the saved gas money toward the rental.
    X2. Too many uncoated areas and voids inside the trailer frame. It will cost you a lot in upkeep and resale if corrosion shows up. Cheaper to rent.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I winter in Florida and get asked all the time why don't I bring my boat. Look at the boats in the canals that are on lifts and take note of the condition of them. Especially those that are one year old and you will see what salt water does. In my area , Naples, there are no dealers that sell surf boats or wake boats. The dealers are all up at Orlando near the in land fresh water gator/python infested lakes. So take the advice from others and rent. I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post

^^^^This. Don't put your boat or trailer in salt water if at all possible. I did years ago with an old boat we had and always regretted it.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Do not dip your trailer in salt water. You will live to regret it. Rent a boat when you visit. You won't have to tow. Put the saved gas money toward the rental.
    Best advice above. Congrats on the 2017 Craz!
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put my 2017 Craz into salt water either. Tell your wife to get real, or just rent some piece of shit dinghy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz