Thread: Home Gym Delima

Default Home Gym Delima

Here's the scenario...

Both my wife and I are wanting a home gym, but we can't come to a full agreement on what to get.
    I'm an old school traditionalist, but for her, free weights are out of the question (too manly I guess). We're going to put whatever we get in a sitting area in our bedroom. We've got about a 9x9 area with a little more room for moving around. There are tons of options that will fit in that space.
    I've considered a full set of dumbells up to 80lbs w/a good bench. She doesn't like that idea. Her top choice is a multi-function machine like the TuffStuff AXT-225 or SXT-550. I'm okay with that (particularly the 550 because of the extra cables), but the leg extension thing just kinda gets in the way for me. I don't do many leg extensions. Legs seems to be a high priority for her but she HATES squats. They sell a leg press add-on for those two that's very nice, but adds a grand to the price. They're both very well built machines, nearly commercial quality. In fact nicer that some I've seen in apartments or hotels. I was about 95% convinced to settle for that. Then at the last second, I started looking closer at the "functional trainers" like the CXT-200. It's a very cool machine with TONS of exercises you can do, but it's 100% cables. And again for her, she really likes the idea of leg extensions/curls/press. And on the functional trainers, you're relegated to squats, lunges, etc for legs.
    Additional considerations, I have 4 boys, 3 of which still live at home and would also get use out of whatever we buy. If it were completely up to her, she'd be fine w/something from academy at about 1/3 the price of tuffstuff/hoist, etc. and lastly, she and I both have access to gyms outside the house. So this would really just be for convenience of working out at home.
    2016 Craz

I may have missed it, are you against just a traditional squat rack, a barbell, weights, a bench and some dumbbells?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Man. Get the power blocks adjustable dumbells that go up to 80 lbs. They are rock solid and take up the space of one set of dumbells. There are barbell attachments that you can use for bench, squats, lunge, etc. Then get an adjustable bench and squat rack. Leg extensions are a bogus exercise anyway, scrap that. There are Sooo many variations of hamstring, butt, quad exercises that can be done from a standing position, that you'd be foolish to eat up space and money with a leg extension. Free weights are king.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

^Yup, that's why I was asking. I think with a little help and guidance with programs using free weights your wife would quickly forget the multi-function gizmo's.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I am personally in FAVOR of free weights. My original plan was to get a full set of hex dumbells up to 80's. and a good bench and that's it. I don't care for the power blocks dumbells. I'm a little more old school than that. I told her the same thing that she can do every thing possible w/dumbells. Also, this is not going in the garage, but rather in our bedroom. so something a little more aesthetic than a barbell, squat rack, weight rack etc is desired.
    I'm kinda damned if i do, damned if i don't here. lol. If i get what I want, she'll have an excuse not to use it. but if i get what she wants, then i'm settling for a machine that i myself may not fully utilize. But since i do have access to a nice gym at work, i think i'll compromise and get the SXT-550. that way, i can get some use out of it, and she has no excuse not to use it. but if she doesn't, i'll sell the hell out of it and replace it w/exactly what i want.
    2016 Craz

save the space and do functional training
    start with a trx
    https://www.trxtraining.com/products...P5kaAjOD8P8HAQ
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I've got this, http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rm...-color-edition. There are 2 sizes available. Highly recommend, you can fold it almost completely flat to the wall, hang the barbells etc. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of mine in use and folded away.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I wish I could set up a proper gym around my house. Too bad I've got not enough room to do so. But still wish you best luck!

Annabigbur.......welcome to the forum , which model do you ride behind?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug