Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you tow with? Any 2.7 Ecoboost owners out there?

I'm starting to shop around for a new truck and these 2.7L F-150 ecoboosts are EVERYWHERE, and at great prices compared to most other half ton pickups.

Wonder if anyone has experience towing a decent size boat with them?

Other options I'm considering are the 5.0 or 3.5 eco, the chevy 5.3 or the titan 5.6. Not really interested in the Ram or any diesel option as I don't think it's needed for towing a boat.

This is a 3rd vehicle for me, besides towing ~8000 miles a year it'll probably only see another 1-2k miles around town.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Boatless for now

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm starting to shop around for a new truck and these 2.7L F-150 ecoboosts are EVERYWHERE, and at great prices compared to most other half ton pickups.

Wonder if anyone has experience towing a decent size boat with them?

Other options I'm considering are the 5.0 or 3.5 eco, the chevy 5.3 or the titan 5.6. Not really interested in the Ram or any diesel option as I don't think it's needed for towing a boat.

This is a 3rd vehicle for me, besides towing ~8000 miles a year it'll probably only see another 1-2k miles around town.

Thanks,
    Matt
    We tow with a 2015 Ford Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost and a 2006 Ram Hemi 1500. The Eco has way more pulling power but the Hemi feels more responsive unloaded. The newer 3.5s (2017 and up) have even more hp and torque than the older ones and a 10 speed transmission. I have a buddy with a 2.7 ecoboost but he doesn't pull anything.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

8k towing!! Move closer to a lake lol. Just kidding. F150 with 3.5 eco boost if I was spending your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

2.7 is awesome go for it! My buddy tows his Malibu with one, he had a '14 f150 with the 5.0 that was wrecked and replaced with a new 2.7. He says the boost tows it better. And I haven't seen anyone unhappy on the forums towing with them. Tuned they run 1/4 miles in the 12's just like the 3.5's.
    -Jake

Well I brought one home last night. Race red crew cab FX4 with the 2.7L. Gotta say it's a hoot to drive, won't get to tow with it for a few months but definitely feels stronger than my previous F150.

And I'd live closer to the lake if I could! We plan to once the kiddo is off to college, hopefully lakeside! But until then the lake is 350miles away.
    Boatless for now

Happy booooosting!
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Well I brought one home last night. Race red crew cab FX4 with the 2.7L. Gotta say it's a hoot to drive, won't get to tow with it for a few months but definitely feels stronger than my previous F150.

And I'd live closer to the lake if I could! We plan to once the kiddo is off to college, hopefully lakeside! But until then the lake is 350miles away.
    Congrats on the new truck. What lake do you go to?
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

Thanks guys.

We alternate between Lake Cumberland and Norris Lake. Do a couple week long trips and several long weekend trips. At ~350 miles each way it adds up the miles.
    Boatless for now

No pics? Didn't happen. He's pulling our legs not a boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    No pics? Didn't happen. He's pulling our legs not a boat.
    Haha. Here's a quick picture from Sunday, it was raining cats and dogs when I picked it up Saturday night.

Already bought some goodies for it and still shopping.
    Boatless for now