Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    If the boat has petcocks, get rid of them and put in drain plugs. Petcocks will not completely drain the block if there is silt and sand as the opening is small. If you use petcocks, it is known to always run a wire into them at the end to make sure.

The main reason antifreeze use was started not too long ago by the boat servicing places to ensure customers didn't invalidate the winterization process. There were instances where boats were winterized at the shop and for many reasons owners would dewinterize the boat and fail to re-winterize and crack the block. They would blame the shop for not winterizing correctly. The next thing they did was to winterize and leave the hoses off and then the owner would come back in the spring to get everything connected back up. I'm not so sure how successful that was as shops went to the antifreeze method as a sure way to protect themselves. It wasn't necessarily a better method but it protected their pocketbook.

So we have two methods of winterization which both methods need to be done correctly for it to be effective. I have always drained my engine on all my boats without a problem. Unlike using antifreeze, draining is not an exact science as there needs to be only a 10% void in all the spaces to account for expansion. Antifreeze cannot be diluted as that method doesn't allow for expansion. Shops can run large amounts of antifreeze through the system and check the concentration on the output. One advantage of antifreeze is less internal corrosion.
    Wait, you're telling me that a boat shop would intentionally winterize in such a manner that it requires a return appointment in the spring?!?!?! Say it's not so! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Wait, you're telling me that a boat shop would intentionally winterize in such a manner that it requires a return appointment in the spring?!?!?! Say it's not so! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$
    ha ha ha ha ha, so true.... sorry all boat shops do it.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by aapwayneo2001 View Post
    Oh well $4K down the crapper
    Bummer. Hang in there. There are different methods to get back up and running again. Since you have time over the winter (assuming your not storing your boat all winter), now is the time to figure out what's is going to fit your budget.

There are good resources on here to help.

My buddy on the Supra site had the barn and the know-how to
    1) pull the motor
    2) drop a new reman in there

Otherwise, you will need to shop about for the labor prices to do so.
    If so, try to find someone that will do it for a flat-fee vs the hourly rate. Harder to find.,

GM blocks tend to crack between the freeze plugs.If there is no water in the oil you can grind out the crack to make it about 1/4 inch wide and about 1/8 inch deep and fill it with jb weld.Ive done a few and they are still running fine.It doesn,t take much time or money to try it.Not much to lose.
    Last edited by james yarosz; 12-14-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    jy

I'm going to call BPI tomorrow and see what they have
    http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p1/EFMGM350LFI/
    2008 Outback<-----SOLD
    2009 Mobius LSV

Buy my 2013 LSV. It has 320 hours on the engine. Great surf boat. Asking $39K
    ADM

2018 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Buy my 2013 LSV. It has 320 hours on the engine. Great surf boat. Asking $39K
    Gotta get this anchor running first lol
    2008 Outback<-----SOLD
    2009 Mobius LSV

Sorry to hear this bro. I went through the same pain about 8 years ago. The engine shop offered me a hotter cam that would bump the rated HP from 325 to 340. Basically just a cam, lifters and springs from what I could gather. Not sure what options you have in your area but the guys who did mine are the same shop that works on the sheriff department boats where they can do a complete engine swap for them literally in 24 hours. So the turnaround on mine was pretty quick!

Thing I wasn't thrilled about is that they only offered me a 1 year warranty. Something to think about as others I have seen are up to 5yr warranty but you PAY for it in the total price. However we've been very happy with the end result. I'm propped for it, but I run heavy with people and ballast for surfing most summers and have never had any issues or ever burn a drop of oil.

And for anyone who has to live through that experience I guarantee it will NEVER happen to them again!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...