Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have a 2008 xlv and had the paddle wheel version. I was having issues with surging while wake boarding and surfing. Upgraded to the gps version and it solved all my issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jason - 2008 Mobius XLV
    Wakemakers wave control surf system
    Gravity 3 ballast system
    1180 center bag
    2 rear 1100 bags
    Perfect pass gps
    Stazigate 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    What sport are you doing that you notice this? Just curious. Keep us updated on what you come up with.
    It's only become an issue with wakeboarding.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    I suspect that this is due to the throttle response settings in the controller, not the difference of paddlewheel vs. GPS. In fact, the paddlewheel will provide a better "instantaneous" measure of speed; one revolution of the wheel is a very exact distance and it won't "lag", "slip" or care about weight in or behind the boat. If anything, I would think there could be a little bit of lag in GPS.
    I can see in theory how those systems work. But the heavier you weight your boat, it will decelerate more quickly

I'm only speaking to my experience. But I know that with my riding, riding behind a boat with paddlewheel vs. GPS, the pull is more consistent with GPS. The engine is more "proactive" (for lack of a better term) on GPS than with paddle wheel. On GPS, the engine is only permitted to operate within a specific speed range and the engine will react accordingly with less lag than the paddlewheel. For instance, hit some chop with the paddlewheel guided cruise and the boat will drastically accelerate through the chop which results in a oppositely drastic slowdown and so on until finally stabilizing. This problem does not occur, at least with so much wax and wane, utilizing GPS cruise. Maybe in a vacuum, they perform similarly. And I'll admit that when I'm one of only a few boats in our riding area, it's not so much of a problem. But this rarely happens. Especially as our lake become progressively busier over time, glass waters are few and far between.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    It's not the paddle wheel causing the issue, it's actually more accurate than the gps version. If you're a bigger guy adjust the PP settings to reflect it.....

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=49216
    It's very possible I don't have my current setup properly programmed. I'll have to look into it more in depth when I pull it out next season.
    2016 Craz
    1979 Ski Nautique

Mine is adjusted so I have to hit the throttle pretty hard on the start but that is the way I want it. I didn't have to touch that when switching to GPS, only speed calibration. I used a portable car nav system for that.

In theory I would think the GPS speed wouldn't lag for more than 1 second. The output of the GPS point positions are at 10Hz, or 10 times per second which is pretty fast. The GPS works off of point positioning for speed, possibly doppler. It would have to actually be moving to read speed but you have to be careful about that. There may be filtering set up also for the GPS output. You don't want your GPS saying you are moving when you are not. Accuracy of this type of GPS is about 3ft. when using the WAAS corrections which we in the U.S. and the lower part of Canada can use if there is open sky to the South East and/or South West. If the GPS shows it is jumping around 10 times per second at +/-3ft (usually not that bad) it is bad for business. That is where the filtering comes in. It needs to be sure not to report "false positives". So depending on how the system works there may be a small bit of lag but I haven't seen that in this system. It is tough to judge a 1 second lag anyway while driving the boat. If there is more lag than that it is in the filtering of the GPS before it leaves the little box.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by MMPRES View Post
    I can see in theory how those systems work. But the heavier you weight your boat, it will decelerate more quickly
    Sure, but the paddlewheel "knows" about this speed change sooner than GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MMPRES View Post
    I'm only speaking to my experience. But I know that with my riding, riding behind a boat with paddlewheel vs. GPS, the pull is more consistent with GPS. The engine is more "proactive" (for lack of a better term) on GPS than with paddle wheel. On GPS, the engine is only permitted to operate within a specific speed range and the engine will react accordingly with less lag than the paddlewheel. For instance, hit some chop with the paddlewheel guided cruise and the boat will drastically accelerate through the chop which results in a oppositely drastic slowdown and so on until finally stabilizing. This problem does not occur, at least with so much wax and wane, utilizing GPS cruise. Maybe in a vacuum, they perform similarly. And I'll admit that when I'm one of only a few boats in our riding area, it's not so much of a problem. But this rarely happens. Especially as our lake become progressively busier over time, glass waters are few and far between.
    All of these symptoms are due to the controller settings, not the paddlewheel vs. GPS.

The only thing that could adversely affect the paddlewheel is really bad chop if the paddlewheel were to come completely out of the water. I've only heard of this on other brands of boats if they mounted the wheel too far forward. I don't think I've ever heard of it on a Moomba.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

PP has many settings that can be adjusted. Some of these adjust how quickly and by how much corrections are made. Make sure you have those adjusted correctly. I have stargazer. My version updates 5 times per second. I have never seen the update rate of the paddle wheel. Call Perfect Pass and they can recommend changes that may fix your current system, or they can recommend something that will make you happy. Very helpful people, excellent customer service.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I should also mention that I did call PP and their recommendation was to upgrade to GPS because it has better control over a heavy boat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jason - 2008 Mobius XLV
    Wakemakers wave control surf system
    Gravity 3 ballast system
    1180 center bag
    2 rear 1100 bags
    Perfect pass gps
    Stazigate 2.0