Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New towing vehicle

So we are looking to upgrade to a newer suburban from our 2010 suburban. We need a large vehicle to fit our family of six and to also tow our Mondo.

I was originally looking for one that had the max tow package but there aren't too many out there around here (MN). One of the dealers is telling me that there isn't really any significant difference in the 2 other than the brake controller.

Just curious if any agrees or disagrees with this.

Thanks.

Jesse
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

I was toying with this same idea. I like the Suburban/Tahoe but the Expedition with Ecoboost seemed to have so much more power. The new Armada is nice too. Compare tow ratings online with each, max tow package vs. without and make the decision based on manufacture recommended load. dealer wants to make a sale, and does not have your best interest in mind. Right now you have a Mondo, smaller boat in the Moomba line up, what if you decide to upgrade to a Mojo in a couple years, will you outweigh your tow vehicle based on dealer feedback?

IMHO, you WANT the max tow package.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

The brake controller won't do anything with the Mondo trailer, but if you tow other items it would definitely help.

FWIW, I have a Tahoe and installed an after-market brake controller for my camper and the install was pretty easy.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

From my light research on suburbans when considering one a couple years ago I seem to remember it all came down to the rear axle gear ratio. Most are soccer mom vehicles so are ordered for best mpg gearing but that limits towing capacity quite a bit. Hope that helps.
    Boatless for now

Default New towing vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    From my light research on suburbans when considering one a couple years ago I seem to remember it all came down to the rear axle gear ratio. Most are soccer mom vehicles so are ordered for best mpg gearing but that limits towing capacity quite a bit. Hope that helps.
    This is the difference ^^. Doubt you will ever use controller. I have a Tahoe and have never used it. Pulls mojo great. Anything bigger not sure. Rating says it can but might be dicey. One piece of advice is the Ltz model with magnetic ride control. I had a loaner LT in November and it pulled really bad compared to mine. The suspension was real loose with the mojo behind it.

The item being towed is a big deal too. My 2016 mojo pulls way better than 2014. Must be situated on trailer different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

From what I have read the general towing capacity is 6000 and bumps up to 8000 lbs with max towing. Gear ration is 3.08 vs 3.42. The dealer said this difference is pretty insignificant and I have to admit I don't know much about whether this is significant or not.

We will likely not be upgrading to a bigger boat in the future because the Mondo barely fits into our garage right now and for finance reasons as well. We also don't tow anything else. We space for kids and a vehicle to tow our Mondo.
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

Dealer is not knowledgeable. I have a '15 Yukon with max tow. It has 3.42 gears, brake controller, HD (fleet service) brakes, HD trans cooler, HD oil cooler, and Z85 suspension with automatic air leveling rear springs, all for $650.
    -Jake

I have a 2011 Expedition extended version for the exact same reason. We blended two families, have 6 of us with toys to haul. That extra 17" of space in the rear made all of the difference. All of us and the luggage fit nicely. We have been as far north as VT and as far south as FL. It has been on many adventures.

I think you will find that the Expedition doesn't have the torque that the Chevy has. That is the ONLY thing I would like to see better on my Expedition though.
    Unless it has changed over to the Expedition having more torque now?
    I have 102,000 miles on it and can't complain about anything so far. On the highway I have to keep reminding myself that I am towing. I have had one set of tires replaced, one set of brakes and rotors replaced (lots of towing) and normal maintenance so far. It comes with the tow package and air ride level as well. About to have the remote start installed and I will be happy.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

The chevy max towing provides 3.42 rear axle ratio, integrated trailer brake controller, rear leveling suspension and autotrak 2 speed active transfer case for 4WD. They don't mention anything about HD brakes for suburban, all suburbans come with trans cooler and engine cooler from what I can see.

The reason I am struggling with this is that for our price range, I can either go with one here locally that has everything except the max tow package or drive 8 hours to Illinois to buy a new one with max towing package. We have a 2010 to trade in and that's the challenge as well. The max tow package has been difficult to find included in our price range.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jesse
    Jesse

2014 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by spader View Post
    The chevy max towing provides 3.42 rear axle ratio, integrated trailer brake controller, rear leveling suspension and autotrak 2 speed active transfer case for 4WD. They don't mention anything about HD brakes for suburban, all suburbans come with trans cooler and engine cooler from what I can see.

The reason I am struggling with this is that for our price range, I can either go with one here locally that has everything except the max tow package or drive 8 hours to Illinois to buy a new one with max towing package. We have a 2010 to trade in and that's the challenge as well. The max tow package has been difficult to find included in our price range.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jesse
    Get the ltz close to home and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA