Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Don't be a D-Bag on your lake!!!

Since it is winter and my boat is put away and mods are done for this year, the only thing left to do is stand on the soap box for a minute. So here goes, if you live on the lake or just launch for the weekend, this is for everyone. On my lake here in Alabama (Lay Lake), we have several d-bags that simply do not pay attention to other peoples property or other peoples enjoyment of the lake. Unfortunately my two major offenders are Moomba owners (I know how can that be). I love surfing and wake boarding just as much as the next guy, but I try to keep my wake away from peoples dock or where people are trying to float/swim. These two guys on my lake go by our boat house about 20' off the end of the dock throwing a surf wake towards the dock. And they just do loops out front beating the dock and sea wall to death. Don't even try to float out front or you will get sea sick from the constant rollers. Our lake is several miles long and hundreds of feet wide in most places, yet these two different boat owners just do 200' circles out front all day long beating everyone's dock and shorelines. I see young kids just standing on the dock waiting for these two geniuses to either take a break or finish for the day since it is hard for the little ones to swim in huge rollers. I'm thinking to myself don't you see everyone standing on their docks waiting for you to go away! Please try and be courteous of everyone on the lake including "day" boaters and lakefront owners. These new boats are throwing massive wakes and we all need to be aware of where these wakes are going. Any thoughts?????
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Since it is winter and my boat is put away and mods are done for this year, the only thing left to do is stand on the soap box for a minute. So here goes, if you live on the lake or just launch for the weekend, this is for everyone. On my lake here in Alabama (Lay Lake), we have several d-bags that simply do not pay attention to other peoples property or other peoples enjoyment of the lake. Unfortunately my two major offenders are Moomba owners (I know how can that be). I love surfing and wake boarding just as much as the next guy, but I try to keep my wake away from peoples dock or where people are trying to float/swim. These two guys on my lake go by our boat house about 20' off the end of the dock throwing a surf wake towards the dock. And they just do loops out front beating the dock and sea wall to death. Don't even try to float out front or you will get sea sick from the constant rollers. Our lake is several miles long and hundreds of feet wide in most places, yet these two different boat owners just do 200' circles out front all day long beating everyone's dock and shorelines. I see young kids just standing on the dock waiting for these two geniuses to either take a break or finish for the day since it is hard for the little ones to swim in huge rollers. I'm thinking to myself don't you see everyone standing on their docks waiting for you to go away! Please try and be courteous of everyone on the lake including "day" boaters and lakefront owners. These new boats are throwing massive wakes and we all need to be aware of where these wakes are going. Any thoughts?????
    Not that it makes it okay but just out of curiosity what is the depth of the rest of the lake? If the water isn't deep enough they might be staying in that area because it's the only area deep enough to get a good surf wake...

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

Water depth isn't an issue anywhere on our lake. Shallowest point is around 20'. Most of the lake is 30'-50' deep. I surf all over the lake and tend to stick to the more rural areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Water depth isn't an issue anywhere on our lake. Shallowest point is around 20'. Most of the lake is 30'-50' deep. I surf all over the lake and tend to stick to the more rural areas

Hmmm....that's the only thing I could think of....that sucks

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

That stinks. Have you motored out and talked to them? That seems like the first step. If that does not work then fire up your surf wave or better yet start cutting donuts until they leave. I suspect they are not doing it on purpose though.

2017 Supra SA

My thought is to do as mentioned above. Just like with any car on any public highway, some people are idiots and some others just don't realize. Troll out to them and be cool and ask them to be a bit more conscientious. 10 years ago when I was a new boater I surely did some crap to annoy the veterans and would have appreciated some early polite lessons. If they are d-bags after you talk to them then yes the are in fact that...d-bags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There is a 100' foot law in GA. See if there isn't similar in AL. Dial in a paint ball gun to fire 100'.

A portable air horn at 20' hurts so do fishing lures and they don't come out very easy also add a partially submerged log and you have a trifecta. Where do they leave their trailer and what would they do if their trailer became unusable? Actually, law enforcement and a video may be enough for them to venture out.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    A portable air horn at 20' hurts so do fishing lures and they don't come out very easy also add a partially submerged log and you have a trifecta. Where do they leave their trailer and what would they do if their trailer became unusable? Actually, law enforcement and a video may be enough for them to venture out.
    Don't make zabooda mad!! Lol. Gonna get hurt!!

2017 Supra SA

Make a little buoy (empty bleach bottle works great) and tie it to a small weight or rock so it floats about 70 feet out from your dock. Write "BIG ASS ROCK" on it in big letters. They will avoid running right there out of fear.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!