Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Lake Front Property in South Carolina?

Wife and I are looking to move to South Carolina in a couple years. We have no idea as to where in the state we want to go and it really doesn't matter.

Can anyone suggest a good size ski/surf lake that still has reasonably priced lake front lots (1/4 acre minimum)?

Wouldn't mind being near Greenville or Columbia.

Any S. Carolina Realtors on the forum?

The wife and I are doing that tour ourselves. We have about five more years until we can move (not retire). We will be empty nesters with all kids in college or done with it. We have settled on SC. GA was on the list but the wife isn't into places where alligators roam. I almost hit a five footer at night on the way to check out a place in GA.

We have visited and stayed at Lake Greenwood. Nice place, good community and a bit out of the way of the town. A bit over an hour away to Charlotte airport which I will need for sure. We were there during hurricane Joaquin in 2015. We still managed to have a good time but not on the water. Large lake but you want to be on the lower part as when the water gets low, you want to be in the deep end. Most everything you will need is in the towns that are fairly close and is still on our list.

We have stayed at Lake Wateree many times as well. Again way out of the way of the actual town but a great and really uncrowded lake. The big day is July 4 and you still have your pick of places to do what you want at about 23 miles long. Other than that day you have the lake to yourself and it is a great lake but there is nothing there which is good for some. About 45 minutes from Columbia.

I have spent a little time on Lake Murray and it seemed crowded but like I said, just a little time.

We still want to visit Greenville, and Lake Keowee.
    We haven't been to Lake Keowee but it is top on the list for what we want. We are looking at the Keowee Key community. The lake is smaller than some of the others so we will spend a long weekend there as we have done on the others and see how traffic on the lake is. I will haul my skis down there so we can go anywhere we want quickly. It is close to a major town and is large. It has a good size community and the lake is more than large enough to do what we want most likely. We were slated to go with another couple to check it out on Columbus day weekend but they couldn't make it so we canceled. We have it planned for early spring with two other couples who are now interested. The only downside I see there so far sight unseen is the weather. It is a bit north and toward the mountains. The mountains hold back a lot of the cold air and snow coming in from Tennessee but if that is mentioned it may get colder than I would like there. It isn't really cold but I want to have only a couple of months that are "cold".
    They have Clemson University, all of the big box stores and everything else you need there. I feel a bit stupid putting Keowee so high since I haven't been there but from all of our research it looks great. We have been going to retirement functions in our area where they have reps from a lot of the communities in NC, SC, GA, VA, PA, MD and TN. We are pretty much always the youngest ones there LOL. I will find out in the spring how it really is in Keowee.

We plan on putting our list in order then in another year or two take a week and drive around again to all of the spots on our list and see again how we like it. We will put our current lake house on the market a year or two before we plan on moving and go from there. We are really looking forward to it and sooooo ready to get out of the rat race in Northern Virginia.

Where are you located now?

Keep me posted on what you find!
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Thanks 5:00!

Before you responded, I did find out about Lake Keowee and Lake Wateree. They both sound real interesting. I want a place that is fairly rural, but yet close enough to large cities for some cultural activities. Want to stay away from large lakes.

I'm presently in Clermont, Fl. near the tourist attractions (RatWorld, Universal, etc), where the alligators roam

My present lake is 3600 acres.

I'd like to purchase a lot now and build around 2020 - when I retire.

got a buddy that moved to a lake near Columbia SC and loves it . I think its lake murray
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

jmvotto Murray is the one near Columbia, SC. I just don't know that much about it. I know the boat store there had a spare prop in stock when my wife hit a rock at the beginning of a weeks vacation. We were on the lake a little bit but not enough to get a feel for it. I don't think it is on our short list.

Not a lot of cultural activities around Wateree other than a weekend of horse racing they have only once a year. I am sure there are other things though. The nearest town is Camden, SC which is beautiful and about a minimum of 15+ min from town. Great little town and does have a Wal*Mart, Tractor supply and things smaller than that. I would imagine lots there are relatively inexpensive. If you need a realtor there I know locals there and can get you a name. All of the people I have met there have been good so far. I have spent the entire July 4 week there for the last 6 years and love it. Great if you don't want much in the way of people yet a huge lake.
    From what you describe it sounds like Keowee? Well at least there may be two Moombas there in the next 5 years! We are still figuring it out though.
    We are looking forward to getting down there for sure but the 4-5 year sentence we have to do here only 20 minutes from D.C. seems like a long time. Our last kid is off to college in 2020 but would start building probably 6 months to a year before that. They can come visit us in SC.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on lake keowee, I have a place there have been going every weekend and week stays for the last three years. I have a park model setup near the keowee key community, it is a very nice community. My family loves the lake, we mainly surf but just bought our first Moomba this year so more water sports to come I am sure. We love lake keowee and the surrounding area and have even discussed at some point making it a permanent residence. The lake can get crowded in the height of summer but there is plenty of coves to hide in and surf. And of course I am 15 mins from Clemson University. Go Tigers!

This thread interests me. We plan to do something similar in 5-8 years once kids in college. We are thinking KY, TN, Carolinas or even TX. Please keep us updated!
    Boatless for now

Moombaman16 thanks for the $0.02. Looking again that is a decent size lake. How bad does it get during the summer? How long is the surfing/wake season there?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I really want to find property on a lake that doesn't get very crowded. My present lake - even on a sunday or Saturday during the summer, I might see one or two boats in the distance.

Here is my dream property:

Rural lot with hardly any grass and lots of trees.

Dock located at the bottom of a hill - have to have steps going down to the dock

45 - 60 minute drive to a large city

No redneck neighbors.

What kind of pricing have you found at Keowee?

Except for #4 you are looking pretty good. That one however is a crap shoot and can be anywhere though. Generally good people I find.
    Pricing is all over the place and it depends on what you want. I find about $350K for .5 acre on big water. In a cove you are probably looking at about $150K?
    I would go to www.zillow.com and take a look. You can filter out everything except for lots and there are an absolute ton to choose from. Keep in mind those are just asking prices.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap