Thread: Helix vs Mondo

Default Helix vs Mondo

Has anyone identified which is the better surf boat between the helix and the mondo? Does one provide a significant advantage or disadvantage over the other? Why does moomba offer two 20 ft boats?

Sorry if this was already covered somewhere else. I searched and didn't find anything.
    2014 Moomba LSV

If you have a LSV why go down to a smaller boat. From my understanding the Helix is purely a value boat with the ability to surf, board and ski. Mondo is probably more of a surf boat. But that is just my uneducated opinion.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

The helix was designed for surfing and is pretty basic. You can't get many of the bells and whistles like you can on the other Moomba models. Moomba wanted a good surf boat at a good price point.

2016 Supra SG 450
    Josh

2016 Supra SG 450
    2001 Calabria Pro V - Sold
    1987 Supra Sunsport - Sold

I like the fact that the Helix is 3" wider than the Mondo. I feel like if you're looking at a Mondo why not just buy a Craz, they're only $2k apart and $1k of that is because you get the tandem axle trailer standard with a Craz where it's a $1k upcharge on a Mondo. So you're paying $1000 for an extra 1.5ft of real estate. Seems like a no-brainer to me. But the Helix is $6k less than a Craz or $5k if you want the tandem, but still a much larger spread between the two. I've placed an order for a Helix, when I weighed the bang for buck I wasn't able to beat it!

So I took a look at a Helix last night. the Helix is DEEP. the seat bases and the rear lockers are seriously deep. I talked to the Moomba salesman for a while and he's played on both and he says the Helix definitely surfs better because of the hull depth/shape. I really liked the bow on the helix, it's super roomy. Also pretty cool how they took the control and put it off to the side, so there's a lot of vidibility in front of the driver--it doesn't have that traditional "hump" of gauges in front of the driver.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So I took a look at a Helix last night. the Helix is DEEP. the seat bases and the rear lockers are seriously deep. I talked to the Moomba salesman for a while and he's played on both and he says the Helix definitely surfs better because of the hull depth/shape. I really liked the bow on the helix, it's super roomy. Also pretty cool how they took the control and put it off to the side, so there's a lot of vidibility in front of the driver--it doesn't have that traditional "hump" of gauges in front of the driver.
    Trayson you looking at upgrading?
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    Trayson you looking at upgrading?
    LOL. Nope. But I was at an event at the local boat dealer and was checking things out since I'd seen this thread.

Plus, if I "upgraded" I definitely wouldn't go from my 23' boat to a 20'
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com