Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wakeboard

Default New Wakeboard

I am a newby to wakeboarding. Tried it last weekend for the first time and LOVED it. I've been slaloming for over 30 years so it was a completely new experience...what a blast! Now I want to get myself a board. Any recommendations of make and model for a starter board. My wife and I will use it along with our freinds so it will have to be a good all-around board for anyone 130-230 lbs.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Default Replying to Topic 'New Wakeboard'

I'm an old fart.....just turned 48 7-20. Started wb'ing I guess 3 yrs ago.
    I ride an Evo 138 (Liquid Force) w/ Element Bindings. It's an '05 model, but well equipped to haul my arse around. Pick a brand and go with it. You'll find we all have different opinions. Most of the name brand boards are ok (O'Brien, LF, Gator, etc, etc.)
    I've learned wake to wake, surface 180's, and am working on the lip slide. I'm not real brave when it comes to inverts. I don't heal as well as I used to.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

IMHO CWB is the best bang for the buck and not a bad ride. If you have a good local dealer see if you can get a demo on a few boards and bindings. And not to preach but I am a big fan of buy local.

Scott
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V

Thanks for the info. I'm going to be buying local so now I've got some ideas.

B. I'm turning 42 tomorrow so I'm right there with you on the healing thing. So far falls at 20 mph on the wakeboard seem like much less of an ouch than spills at 32 on the slalom...although I'm not doing much more than crossing the wake and getting a couple of inches of air at this point...

Dave

Yes, I agree that buying local helps. Ask around and find an independent shop where you can get good advice without being talked into buying the wrong thing. I found a good one who happened to be pretty near my home, and it was the owner whom I got to talk to... for an hour or so! I got great advice based on my skill level and goals, and he got lots of business out of me over time. He also sells for around 25% less than the local chain stores, comparable to shopping on-line. So, I get the great service and prices!

Right now I use an O'Brien Science 138 board. My personal bindings are O'Brien Science Exit 13's with rear laces, size Medium to fit me perfectly. For the riff-raff, I have a set of Liquid Force Elements, size L/XL, and some neoprene socks to fit the occasional small-footed person. I had some other, cheaper O'Brien bindings for riff-raff last year, but an eyelet broke and I used the warrantee's credit note (plus more cash) to upgrade to the LF Elements.

My O'Brien Science 138 has been used by people ranging in weight from 120lbs to about 210lbs, mostly beginners. It's a very good beginner/intermediate board with very predictable handling. It came with six small skegs, and I use all of them right now. With a small skeg in each corner, it makes for an easy transition to on-edge movements (like a transition to riding switch, without jumping, or maybe a butterslide) without any sudden change in resistance. The target weight for this is the average young male adult -- 150-170lbs or so, and I don't know how it would fare for people way outside that range if they were to do tricks.

I was planning to get another board with more "pop", but now that I upgraded my ballast, I have more pop than I know how to handle for now!
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Happy Birthday cobra. Keep the faith
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

A couple of awesome boards if you are looking for some more pop would be either the obrien Vice, or the Liquid force Fish.. You ride them about 10" shorter than what you would normally ride but they are much wider. It makes for a nice soft landing pad even if you dont get all the way over the wake. It never feels like my knees or spine is gonna shoot up through my skull when I land in the wake. My other board is an 04 Obrien player. (much less forgiving than the fish or vice)

I also ride a hyperlite roam and if you are riding any rails or are looking to improve your edging it is an amazing ride.

If your local shop will let you demo the boards I would totally recommend it. Also buying local is huge especially if you have any warranty issues. As Ive mentioned before we have blown out about 4 different pairs of obrien bindings this year. each time they were replaced by our local delaer with no questions asked!!

Good luck
    2005 Moomba Outback

I am a slalom skier that just started wakeboarding. I bought the Obrien Oasis with Link bindings. It is a nice stable board with full rocker. It should get me to the intermediate level, then I'm sure I will tire of it.
    I much prefer a wreck on my ski at 34 to a face-plant at 20. I never knew that my eyelids could turn inside-out.

Have fun and be safe.

Dave

I'm a CWB guy through and through. I ride an Absolute w/ Boss bindings, but their entry board, the Sol, is a great beginner/intermediate board. Gentle 3-stage rocker for more "pop" than most beginner boards, but still very predictable tracking. You can get one with bindings for $250-$300.

Hinge bindings!
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth