Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leaking

Default Oil leaking

Ok guys I have a big problem. All of my oil is escaping, leaking, out of the engine sitting in the yard. I noticed some oil in the bilge area and checked the level, it was empty. About 3 weeks ago I cleaned the bilge area with degreeser and put oil in back in the engine. Well I checked it today and the bilge was full of oil and there was none in the engine. The boat has not been run during the 3 weeks so I have no idea. I wanted to reach out to the experts here before I took it to the dealer to look at.

It's a 2005 moomba xlv, with little over 300 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2005 Moomba XLV
    5.7L Indmar Fuel Injected
    2 Wetsound Rev 10's, JL Audio speakers and 2 JL Audio M6450 amps, and Wetsound AS-10
    2k Fly High Fat Sac
    1 Homemade SucGate!

I'm no expert, but i would clean out the boat again and refill. Then put a few paper towels down below the engine and you should be able to see the area where it is coming from.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

do you have the little hose extension that comes off the oil pan? Did you maybe forget to put the cap on the end of the hose?

Or maybe that hose coming off the oil pan got messed up and it's leaking from there.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I do have one of those rubber hoses. I have checked the cap and its secure I didn't see any damage to it but I really couldn't see it too good. Is it easy to use replace one of those?

2005 Moomba XLV
    2 Wetsound Rev 10's, JL Audio speakers and 2 JL Audio M6450 amps, and Wetsound AS-10
    2k Fly High Fat Sac
    1 Homemade SucGate!

I was thinking the same as Trayson. If there is no oil left in the pan it has to be a pretty low leak. Other than the pan itself and its gasket there isn't anything much lower.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

So if it is the pan they would have to take the engine out to change it out? It's been raining a lot so I haven't been able to get out to the boat to mess with it. I want to take a good look at hose to see if it's broken.

2005 Moomba XLV
    2k Fly High Fat Sac
    1 Homemade SucGate!

It might be helpful to get a mirror to help see under there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...aft-97217.html
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Get some lights and mirror under there. You should be able to feel around for the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Potsieuf View Post
    So if it is the pan they would have to take the engine out to change it out? It's been raining a lot so I haven't been able to get out to the boat to mess with it. I want to take a good look at hose to see if it's broken.
    I would bet that it's the drain hose, or where it attaches to the pan. I can't really imagine how the pan would just suddenly start leaking. Sure, the gaskets fail over time but that would still be too high for it to leak everything just sitting there. In a car, you could hit a large rock/debris and puncture the oil pan but that's, not really possible in a boat.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I think the oil pan had a rust hole in the bottom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    "You spend most of your life, looking for the adult that you are... then you spend the rest of your life looking for the child that you were."
    98 boomerang sold
    04 outback lsv