Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just got my first Moomba! Want to surf! Need stuff! Tips?

Ok so I got a 2007 mobius LSV with 99 hours! It has stock G3, wakeplate, etc... I am wanting to surf and have a wakeboarding background. I have looked at upgrades like:

910lb rear bags - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and...r-upgrade.html
    ballast system upgrade - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moo...m-upgrade.html
    1433 prop - https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-1433-propeller.html
    wake gate - prolly ghetto
    monster cargo bimini (I know about the z5 but out of my league at this time I think)
    surf boards (a good all around board)

My question is what am I going to need and what order should I do things?
    We have kids from 13y-1y also.

Thanks!!!
    2007 Mobius LSV - Sold

Nice.

My thoughts
    Get the 1100lb rear bags
    1433 a good prop
    wake gate=yes
    IBS for the front
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GregInKS View Post
    Ok so I got a 2007 mobius LSV with 99 hours! It has stock G3, wakeplate, etc... I am wanting to surf and have a wakeboarding background. I have looked at upgrades like:

910lb rear bags - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-and...r-upgrade.html
    ballast system upgrade - https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moo...m-upgrade.html
    1433 prop - https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-1433-propeller.html
    wake gate - prolly ghetto
    monster cargo bimini (I know about the z5 but out of my league at this time I think)
    surf boards (a good all around board)

My question is what am I going to need and what order should I do things?
    We have kids from 13y-1y also.

Thanks!!!
    Hey there, I have a 2013 LSV.. I have 1100's in rear and IBS up front as well...
    First thing to try is to make a Suction cup gate (Suckgate). It works amazing!! Since I've been using mine I only fill my 1100's up about half way, and front IBS 75-100 % full and speed of 11mph... This seems to be best wake so far for us. I found that reducing my rear sacs made it a better surf wave for my family. It also depends on how many people and weight in boat.

The reason I say get suckg8 setup first is this may get you by without needing anything else other than IBS up front. I have standard prop on mine, and it lacks power when everything is full and lots of passengers, but I no longer need to fill all sacs to surf, so it works fine now...
    My 12 and 10 year old girls ride a P5 Scamp. Both have gotten quite good this year, so I'm looking at a soulcraft for them now, as they both want to try competing next year. I'm 200+ , and only 5'9" and have a Soulcraft built for me by Jeff and it's seriously amazing. My wife is about 135 (she'll tell you 120) and she rides a P5 Daniello Diamond and loves it. P5 scamp for kids will run you under 300 I think.

The only upgrade I would recommend for now is the IBS, the rest you can likely surf great with stock in rears with the suckg8. It's cheap to try this out before spending more.

New bimini and prop are nice, but not have to's for surfing. Hey, if money is no object, have at er...

Enjoy the new boat, and good luck getting it dialed in!!! Keep us posted how it goes. My boat is out for the season... Season is so short in Canada!!
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

Thanks for the info so far! Keep it coming please!
    Can someone link me some 1100's and what I would need to make those work?
    Last edited by GregInKS; 09-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV - Sold

So many of these upgrades are great but it just depends how much you want to spend. a lot of people go with the 1100lb bags in the rear locker, i went with the 750s because 1100 just seems too big for those lockers but they seem to work for a lot of people. Definitely make a suck gate. For less than $50 you get a great upgrade, and they are easy to make. An IBS in the bow is also a helpful. I upgraded to the 1433 prop and it is nice, but you certainly don't have to have it. I also did the pump upgrade you have a link to and it is great but again, not a must have. I've don't a lot of these upgrades little by little.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    So many of these upgrades are great but it just depends how much you want to spend. a lot of people go with the 1100lb bags in the rear locker, i went with the 750s because 1100 just seems too big for those lockers but they seem to work for a lot of people. Definitely make a suck gate. For less than $50 you get a great upgrade, and they are easy to make. An IBS in the bow is also a helpful. I upgraded to the 1433 prop and it is nice, but you certainly don't have to have it. I also did the pump upgrade you have a link to and it is great but again, not a must have. I've don't a lot of these upgrades little by little.
    Thanks! Maybe hitting the middle with the 910's would work well? If you go to the link I have in there and put in 2007 Mobius LSV the only option it gives is 910's...
    2007 Mobius LSV - Sold

Hey, great boat! Same as ours, we pretty much only surf ours now. I reckon the prop is a must, makes the boat more drivable and stays on plane better in turns. Some sort of gate is essential, we have the 1100's but I think you could get away with smaller. Although it does surf better with 10 onboard and all the bags full, using a gate. If you do go 1100, you'll only last a season with stock pumps if you have goofy surfers in the crew!! Go hard mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdes View Post
    Hey, great boat! Same as ours, we pretty much only surf ours now. I reckon the prop is a must, makes the boat more drivable and stays on plane better in turns. Some sort of gate is essential, we have the 1100's but I think you could get away with smaller. Although it does surf better with 10 onboard and all the bags full, using a gate. If you do go 1100, you'll only last a season with stock pumps if you have goofy surfers in the crew!! Go hard mate!!
    I have a 2007 Mobius XLV with G3 system. I went with the 1100 rear bags and the suck gate.. it made the world of difference. I found with the smaller bags and lots of people and suck gate awesome wake however when only a few on the boat those big bags are some welcome. Had a friend say he has been on quite a few surf boats and has never seen such a large wake when its dialed in correct. I still have the stock prop and no issues at all.. typically never run over 3350 rpms. I assume you have a front bag with the G3 system. this weight is a huge plus to extend the area you surf farther from the boat. We can at times get 15 feet from the boat and ride.

Assuming they fit (which it sounds like they will) why not get the 1100s. The cost difference is negligible and if you don't need them just don't fill them. Much better then figuring out later you wish you had a few more pounds back there.

Just like everyone says, you really have to experiment. Set up definitely isn't a set up and forget kind of thing. Everything (people on board, water conditions/depth, day of the week) changes the wave and what works best. Lots of experimenting will gain you the knowledge you need to now what direction to go when things aren't to your riders liking. It still surprises me what moving 50-100 lbs around will do to your wave.

Good luck and enjoy. Surfing is awesome.

Foster
    2014 Mojo w/manual surf

2004 Mobius LSV-sold

I always say you can always fill your 1100 up to 750, but you cant fill your 750 up to 1100!!
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold