Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jtatexc View Post
    Is this for sure? Reason I ask is the snowboarding footage I saw looked as though it was from a drone following and not a camera attached to the rider. I was just assuming it had a follow function. It may have just been great camera work and editing I don't know...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    It has the ability to use 4 different preprogrammed flight paths that you can choose from. However, odds are that they got the footage with a good pilot taking the footage flying and following the rider manually.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I have been scratch building my own multirotors for about four years now. This is the first commercial pre-built one that I am considering buying.
    Trason listed most of the good points on this and they are impressive for the price point. I was interested in the gimball and when I saw that it comes with the multirotor I was pretty sold on the idea. Portability is huge on this one and not having to use your own phone is a huge plus.
    It will fly about 10 MPH slower (but still over 30 MPH) than the Phantom 4 and unless they are saving it for the big reveal it doesn't have the follow me mode for sure which I think will really hurt their sales. I think that is a big mistake in today's market but like it was said, sacrifices needed to be made at this price.
    I am on a Hero 2 (LOL) still so this is a big reason for me to upgrade to this decade's technology.

As far as floating that is another world. It adds a lot of cost and weight. We have been adding pool noodles to the landing gear for years. It only does any good if it is a controlled decent but it is better than nothing and keeps it from sinking. I have saved water soaked rotors with disassembly, a lot of compressed air and drying for days. My kid dunked one almost 4 years ago and it is still working.

I want to see the reviews after real people get their hands on one of these and see how they like it before laying down the money. I am about 90% in so far though.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Just thought to check for no fly zones at the lake we use.

The diagonal lines are where helicopter landing pads may be present and I know exactly where it is. It is just a warning to look out for helicopters in that area, never seen one. The more solid at the bottom is near a tiny single runway airport with no tower. You have to report to them if you are flying in the zone. I am the blue dot in the center so really close. The red dot is where a guy keeps his sea plane. There are a few of those around and a flight path above the lake.

I was worried the whole thing would be a no fly zone because there is a nuclear power plant on the lake. It is good to check to be sure you don't fly where you shouldn't. They have some huge fines if you get caught.

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Just thought to check for no fly zones at the lake we use.

The diagonal lines are where helicopter landing pads may be present and I know exactly where it is. It is just a warning to look out for helicopters in that area, never seen one. The more solid at the bottom is near a tiny single runway airport with no tower. You have to report to them if you are flying in the zone. I am the blue dot in the center so really close. The red dot is where a guy keeps his sea plane. There are a few of those around and a flight path above the lake.

I was worried the whole thing would be a no fly zone because there is a nuclear power plant on the lake. It is good to check to be sure you don't fly where you shouldn't. They have some huge fines if you get caught.

I know with my Phantom 2 that I have to figure out what's fly and no-fly. However, with the Phantom 4, those no fly zones are all programmed into the drone's flight controller. We tried to fly the P4 at our boat launch and we were just close enough to PDX that it wouldn't let it fly. However, when we got out to my normal ride spot, it was cool to fly it.

The Karma has the built in no fly zones, so that's a great feature IMO.
    There is an automatic one-button takeoff and landing function and built-in no-fly zones prevent the drone from flying into restricted areas. The Karma also flies back to you when it is out of range, loses connection or when the battery is low.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

With my scratch builts I have to pay attention to that stuff LOL. Glad you brought up the auto no fly stuff on the Phantom and the Karma. It is good you have a place to fly there.
    I was in Portland last week for a convention and was amazed while flying in at how many ports there were and that PDX was right there. Good to hear all of those ports don't cause a problem for you. I was thinking about that when I saw you on this thread. At least you are up in WA a bit further away. Portland looks like one giant no fly zone.
    Hoping that Karma is good. I really want one and with included Gimball (otherwise $300 on its own) it really makes it more of a $500 toy if you look at it that way. It almost pays for the price of the new 5. Ok, I am doing what I can to justify the price
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

With my scratch builts I have to pay attention to that stuff LOL. Glad you brought up the auto no fly stuff on the Phantom and the Karma. It is good you have a place to fly there.
    I was in Portland last week for a convention and was amazed while flying in at how many ports there were and that PDX was right there. Good to hear all of those ports don't cause a problem for you. I was thinking about that when I saw you on this thread. At least you are up in WA a bit further away. Portland looks like one giant no fly zone.
    Hoping that Karma is good. I really want one and with included Gimball (otherwise $300 on its own) it really makes it more of a $500 toy if you look at it that way. It almost pays for the price of the new 5. Ok, I am doing what I can to justify the price
    Well, then it should be even easier for me to jusify the price since I already own a GoPro 4 silver... (and of course, I could factor in selling my Phantom 2, LOL)

As far as our no fly zones, I know that it wouldn't let us fly the P4 at my boat launch because it was within 5 miles of PDX. (boat launch = red circle)

However, it would let us fly in our normal ride spot, which was further than 5 miles from PDX, but looking at the map, it is within 5 miles of the little private Pearson Airport in Vancouver (they fly little private prop planes there). However, the P4 software let us fly, so we did. Our "ride spot" is the red line on the back side of Hayden Island.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

That circle on the left centers around Fort Vancouver. It is a total no fly zone in the center but only over the fort.
    This is a really good interactive map. It lets you click on things and it will tell you what the status of the area is and why it is a no fly or warning zone. I am guessing that upper circle is one of those where you can fly but need to tell the tower? PDX is a whole different game but it appears the same on both maps.
    http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

If it weren't for that dike I could have seen your launch site from the airport.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

That circle on the left centers around Fort Vancouver. It is a total no fly zone in the center but only over the fort.
    This is a really good interactive map. It lets you click on things and it will tell you what the status of the area is and why it is a no fly or warning zone. I am guessing that upper circle is one of those where you can fly but need to tell the tower? PDX is a whole different game but it appears the same on both maps.
    http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

If it weren't for that dike I could have seen your launch site from the airport.
    Yeah Fort Vancouver is under the category of a National park (National Historic Site actually). The circle around it isn't because of the fort though, because national parks are only 250 feet perimeter from what I understand. immediately adjacent to Fort Vancouver is the small Pearson Airfield where little private prop planes fly out of. I guess We're supposed to call that airfield if we fly within 5 miles.

Yeah, we used to ride literally beside the airport, between Government Island and Marine drive, just west of the 205 bridge. But sometimes the depth went under 10' and that's just too shallow for my comfort level (and a good surf wave).
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    No it doesn't. That said, I've played with the Phantom4 and the follow mode wasn't all that impressive. We tried to have it follow the boat and once we got above 10-15mph, it couldn't keep up--despite the fact that the drone can fly a LOT faster than that. We ultimately had to put the drone in Sport mode and fly it manually to get wakeboard footage.
    I have the Litchi app for my phantom pro 3 and it works amazing in follow me mode.. way better than the DJI app. It basically turns a phantom 3 into a 4 minus the extra power...

I took some footage before I had that app this summer and had some fun.. flying it off the back of the boat.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

I too am gonna wait and see what actual people's reviews look like and next spring I should have a much better idea if I want it or not and with what options

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk