Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Are Dealers Ruining The Moomba Brand

Ok so I need some help with this one. I recently discovered Moomba boats and think they have a huge niche offering so much value for the price......Only then to find out that my local (only dealer in the state) moomba dealer is SOLD out through the end of the summer and is not any help getting me the boat I want. Not to mention that this dealer in perticular, because their is such a demand in the area I live jacks their price way up....so I might as well buy a malibu when we talk the prices they are willing to sell for. So I call a few states around to find out that I can get a much better deal from these more reasonable dealers. I found one I like, start to negotiate the price and everything is falling into place. I then made the mistake a calling my local moomba dealer to make sure they could fit me in for the 20 hour and they freaked out that I was going to buy in another state saying that that dealer would loose his license, and I basically had to buy from him and pay his price or he would bring the boat in and I would pay his price. Long story short the guy tracked down the dealer out of state that I was talking to and demanded half of the profit and took any leg I had for negotiating a decent price right out from under me. He did not help me find this boat for 1 second and in fact tried to lie to me and say the engine wouldnt work right in our state. I just think it is CRAP and I wish I could go to moomba.com and order my boat direct!
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Default Replying to Topic 'Are Dealers Ruining The Moomba Brand'

Originally posted by Ed G
    post the name of your local dealer.
    I'm with Ed. Let the market decide.

The dealer's viewpoint, and for that matter, Moomba's viewpoint if indeed its represented accurately in your post (via the dealer) may constitute some sort of restraint of trade violation. This is very, very serious business. Generally, unless schooled properly, local and regional businessmen can get way afoul of the law and not even know it. If you have access to a commercial attorney, maybe through your workplace, you might try to get a read from them laws that might apply.

Id rather not post the name of the dealer at this time because one way or another we are going to buy a moomba this week and I may need service from them eventually. I guess its not really a big deal, their just tring to make money like everyone else. Not the way I would have handled it but, what can ya do.

As for the price. We live in America. Capitalism rules. Why would one prudent person pay more than necesary for the same product, especially when it is UNAVAILIABLE in that state. They wouldnt, that is why competition is such an important element of our economy. If Moomba decided to take that away in thier dealer agreements, I would say that is a huge mistake. To have marketing and no soliciting aggreements is one thing but what my local dealer did was another.

I agree with Ed, I think Moomba need to know how this dealer is conducting their business. And I would not take my boat there for service. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

yea, I almost posted last night that the dealer is important & make a huge difference in your over all experience. We may not know who you are but the dealer sure does.

These boats require TLC now & then. Sometimes from the dealer. Life is too short to deal with difficult people.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Keep in mind, we are not limited to Moomba dealers for scheduled service on our Indmar engines. Mastercraft and Malibu dealers are also factory authorized Indmar service facilities. You may not get priority one bringing in a Moomba, but I would prefer that to bringing the boat to a shady dealer that has my number.
    2006 Outback V

I believe protected teritories is normal practice in the boating industry (Mastercraft, Malibu, CC, and others operate this way as well). A dealer has a teritory and sells to customers in that teritory. Since the dealer invests money to open their busienss and must sell new boats to remain in business, the manufacturers protect these dealers by limiting other dealers from selling in their teritory. I believe old stock (Prior year models) may not fall under these guidelines.

OK...so what if your local dealer dosnt have a single boat to sell? And wants you to wait 3 months? But you want to be on the lake this weekend? He doesnt offer to help you find one, so you call around to find that no one wants to give you a good price because you live out of state and they will have to pay your local dealer 50%. And why would they want to pay your local dealer 50% when they could sell it themselves. Then you call your local dealer and he all mad that your calling around and says to wait 3 months and order from him. Then is a little grumpy about servicing you boat if you buy somewhere else because SC only pays 60$ an hour instead of the 90$ they normally get for warranty service. Then the mechanics arent happy. Then tells you the other boat stinks from the other dealer. I have been trying to buy this boat for 2 weeks now and am about to give up. I think moombas weakest link are their dealers. Their boat are great. Maybe I am just a big problem....I dont know....maybe I need some sort of boat coach to mentor me through this coplicated process of buyin a Moomba. Maybe SC should offer a 3 month training course so customers will know how to deal with their dealers.

2006LSV, I too had a similar experience with moomba dealers. I have a "local" dealer that is over an hour away (only one in my state) and 3 others within a 3-4 hour drive. I had hit a stalemate in negotations with my local dealer and branched out. One of the dealers outside my state would only offer me a boat at MSRP when I told him where I lived. I basically wished him luck in remaining in business and moved on. Others outside my state were willing to deal but didn't have anything on the lot.

BTW - my "local" dealer is so full of themselves, they will only work on your Moomba/Supra if you buy from them.

In the end, I purchased from my "local" dealer because they had what I wanted on the lot. I have the boat I want - I paid a little too much for it - and I love it! Oh and I keep the boat several hours - in the opposite direction - from my "local" dealer so I take it elsewhere for service...
    2010 LSV
    2006 Outback V (sold)