Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Replying to Topic 'Are Dealers Ruining The Moomba Brand'

Originally posted by Ed G
    This grape gives RickT an A+ grade in customer satisfactionology.

e
    Hasn't the Florida sun turned you into a raisin yet?

Originally posted by NCSUmoomba

If the service department has a problem with it, then they should take it up with the sales department and ask them why they are running off the customers. Also it would seem to me that if I was the boat salesperson, and someone walked into my dealership and wanted a boat and I didn't have it, then I would even try to find it at another dealership and then just charge a small "transfer fee" and make the sale.
    I grew up in a family owned/run RV business as a kid.

The mechs in the shop, including the manager, seemed to think that the service department was an extension of the sales department. Its goal was to solve problems created by the sales department. Because of this, the shop when I started there, was teh most inefficient place on the planet. EVERY job was cost overrun.

I'd been there about 2 years, dumping holding tanks, ect, and my uncle and dad made some changes. From that point forward, the service department, while responsible for delivering newly sold units, oeprated autonimously. The department actually made money seperate from the sales process. This is the way it should be.

When I, as a boat owner, call the nearest dealer to my craft (which may NOT be the closest to my residence) and talk to service, WHERE I bought the craft should have ZERO bearing on the service departments desire to service a vessel. Where I bought it MIGHT influence the turn around time and the cost.

When I bought the outback this spring, I had a choice. Atlanta or Alabama or Florida. Why? Because I have address all three states and can easily register my craft where I want to (btw, alabama registration fees are VERY VERY low.) As such, I shopped all three states. I did get the absolute best deal from the Atlanta dealer (closer to my main residence).

Ok, enough ranting. I need to go change my oil tonight.

Got mine at Alanta as well, 3 hours from home in South Carolina. Highly recommend and I was able to haggle a good bit over the phone prior to picking up. Atlanta Marine has the policy of servicing only boats they sell; however, the sell a whole lotta boats.
    I mess with Texas

YM,

Just curious. When you purchased, did you compare prices between Atlanta Marine and Strickland Marine in Seneca? I live about halfway between them and I'm thinking of upgrading to a new boat.

I called Strickland 4 or 5 times and they always had one boat, an 04 outback and i, not them, hem-hawed around. Finally I decided I was going to do it, and I wanted my boat that day. I called Strickland and there was a deposit on it already. So I called Atlanta and they had one for a higher price, I haggled with them based on the Strickland price but forgot to mention that the boat had a deposit, how conveniet for me.

Atlanta has taken excellent care of me:

fried RPM, UPS, no questions asked
    Fried Stereo, Ups, no questions asked

I have no reason to say anything bad about Strickland, I just have not done any business with them. I would shop them both If I were you on price etc.

Good Luck
    I mess with Texas

Good info. Thanks.

Soon, though, my guess (only a guess, I'm an outsider ) is that soon Rick T will have the sales growth momentum to upgrade his stable of dealers.

Go Moomba!

im with you Ed, i would be moving up there

talk about a dream job

stacy
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I was thinking the same thing....upgrading the moomba dealers. Im not sure exactly what sort of dealer agreement SC has with them or time frame (and probably shouldnt even speculate because I have no idea) but I do know that I cant get service from my local dealer and another one would be great. In the end Dealer price controlls and exclusive territorial rights ONLY BENEFIT THE DEALER AND DO A DISERVICE TO THE CUSTOMER. Maybe SC needed them at first..but it should be a privilige to be a dealer, not a right. The dealer should have to earn the respect and business of each customer and not treat them like some sort of asset they aquired through some agreement made years ago without the knowledge of all obligated parties. Im sure in SC business plan everything stems from service to the customer. Everything else follows right? I wish my dealer had a copy of that plan.

BTW. My dealer was boasting to me that it was a good thing that he didnt have any boats to sell and the fact that I was looking for one somewhere else was good for him because he could use it as some sort of leverage with SC to get more boats. Talk about selfserving.

I still love my boat and so do my friends I have had on it so far. Too bad I have to reffer them out of state.

YellowMoomba,

On your warranty UPS did you pay or they pay for shipping??