Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fixing vs replacing engines

I replaced my oil last week, and I missed taking the old o ring off the engine. The net is that I ran the engine without oil, and it seized up. Any suggestions.. is it worth trying to have the enginer rebuilt, or just order a new one? For those who are gonna suggest "New Boat", I am working that angle.. but the Mrs wants a kitchen first.
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

First you need to see of that engine is rebuildable. It depends on the damage done already.
    Next is weigh the cost of a new crate engine.

If your original is rebuildable what's the cost of that.

Lastly compare the power difference in the rebuilt vs new.

In cars it pays to keep the original engine and rebuild due to numbers matching when selling.
    In boats it doesn't matter as much.

If I was in your place, if my engine is a 350 and I can get it rebuilt with at least 350hp and 400torque for under the price of a new engine I'd do it.

But after upgrading from the 325 in my 08 to the 345 in my 13 that power and torque difference makes a ton of difference in my driving pleasure
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I know most will freak out about this response, but did you try and free it? Use a lot of penetrating oil in each cylinder and a large breaker bar..

You may get lucky and it breaks free really easily and runs fine(insert ticking time bomb comments) for a time then have it rebuilt over the winter or find a used engine..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    First you need to see of that engine is rebuildable. It depends on the damage done already.
    Next is weigh the cost of a new crate engine.

If your original is rebuildable what's the cost of that.

Lastly compare the power difference in the rebuilt vs new.

In cars it pays to keep the original engine and rebuild due to numbers matching when selling.
    In boats it doesn't matter as much.

If I was in your place, if my engine is a 350 and I can get it rebuilt with at least 350hp and 400torque for under the price of a new engine I'd do it.

But after upgrading from the 325 in my 08 to the 345 in my 13 that power and torque difference makes a ton of difference in my driving pleasure
    O-ring around the filter??

I agree with this comment. My buddy with a 24 Surpa had his motor go out over the summer. That was the 496 bb motor.
    For the time, effort, and cost, his decision was to go with a remanf motor.
    Once he picked up the motor, he replaced a few other parts (manifolds) and was back in the water.

He was going to go the rebuild route, but any good engine builder cannot tell you EXACT costs until the motor is torn down.
    They can get close. This builder knew how to rebuild marine motors with better parts and more HP and Torque. It cost $$$.

There are a few companies that sell the remanf for Indmars. For example, these guys have a bunch of different options. And a Warranty.
    Get your old motor number and give them a call for a price comparison. Your in NC, they are in VA - not a far drive.

http://www.barrmarine.net/57l-long-block.html

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    O-ring around the filter??
    yeah.. i popped the old filter off, and the gasket stayed. i did not realize that and put the new filter on. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I know most will freak out about this response, but did you try and free it? Use a lot of penetrating oil in each cylinder and a large breaker bar..

You may get lucky and it breaks free really easily and runs fine(insert ticking time bomb comments) for a time then have it rebuilt over the winter or find a used engine..
    It turned over, with a nasty knock. It sounds like something is busted inside.

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    yeah.. i popped the old filter off, and the gasket stayed. i did not realize that and put the new filter on. Whoops.
    I did this on the truck once (the filter mounting is pretty buried and not visible). It's a pretty easy mistake... once. I always check for oil pressure as soon as I start the engine and then I watch for any leaks - in this case, I immediately saw oil pouring out and shut it down. I lost a little over a quart in about 15-20 seconds.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Happens more then you think on Cars at dealerships and they just don't say anything lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Fixing vs replacing engines

Not sure I understand why this would cause the engine to seize. Why would this prevent oil flow? I can see it causing it to leak around the filter but engine failure? What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

I think all the oil leaked out and seized, my assumption.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold