Thread: Hard steering

Default Hard steering

Have a 2005 XLV had the steering cable replace in early 2015 and it was easy to steer. Now its near end of season 2016 and it is getting progressively harder to steer. Greasing the rudder does not help. Also sometimes when I turn hard right water pours out from under the dash on to my legs. Is water getting into my cable? Is there a way to lube the cable? help needed.

Following this thread...
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

On our Supra, I replaced the steering cable. When I did, I took marine grease and rubbed it into the end of cable by the rudder and along the rod that comes out. Then turning the wheel several times, worked it into the housing (hopefully). I then packed the support tube (with the rubber cap) with marine grease and plan to repack it this fall to prevent water getting in. (Tried putting a zerk fitting on the tube but there isn't any clearance between the wall of the tube and the steering cable).
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

How difficult is it to replace the damned cable? Reason I ask is because my dealer want's a grand to do it. That includes cost of the cable. I am thinking I can do it.

If your are getting that much water in your bilge, to get in the cable.... that may have caused premature failure.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTX View Post
    How difficult is it to replace the damned cable? Reason I ask is because my dealer want's a grand to do it. That includes cost of the cable. I am thinking I can do it.
    It must come with a very large container of Vaseline for that price. It should not be hard, the challenge would be snaking the old one out and the new one in. To make the job easier going have to pull up the floor panel over the tank. I think there are some threads about R&R it. Contact http://www.skidim.com/ about part pricing should be about $200 or less.
    Last edited by mcdye; 09-15-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold