Default To shrink wrap or use pool cover on top of trailer cover?

New to the boat thing!
    I live in NEast. Getting ready to winterize what is the proper way to store boat. I have no resources for indoor storage.
    I have OBV with HD trailer cover. Not sure which way is right way
    Rodents could be issue and dampness

On my old DD without a tower, I tried the tarp cover over the cover method and it worked fine but the lifespan of the tarp was limited to a couple of years. The Colorado sun with constant hot/cold, wet/dry cycles is pretty hard on stuff so you might have better luck; also a pool cover is probably more robust. In any case, I decided the cost difference wasn't significant enough and switched to shrinkwrap. It's simple and robust, "set it and forget it". They do put vents in but you should be very diligent about getting it dry before shrink wrapping (search for the "water trapped in hull" thread if you haven't already seen that).
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Just be careful about mold. I used a tarp over the tower on my Stingray I/O and ended up with mold. A Tarp will act like a green house when sunny and combine that with the Neast humidity....
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

If you get snow, you need to shrink wrap it with a pole up high (or tower up) to make a tent-like structure over the boat to ensure the snow doesn't accumulate on top of the cover, otherwise it will flood and thaw and possibly referee inside the boat and destroy it. Don't skimp on this!!
    2017 Moomba Craz

This brings up an idea I just thought of. I use a small Costco car cover on my side by side four wheeler and it allows air through it (see light coming through small holes) but I have never had any water come through. A large cover should fit over the tower and the rub rail and then attach tie downs on it and get it tight. At $30 and a generous return policy, I may try that over my existing cover to slow down the aging process over the winter.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Just be careful about mold. I used a tarp over the tower on my Stingray I/O and ended up with mold. A Tarp will act like a green house when sunny and combine that with the Neast humidity....
    I find that mold is really a result of how dry the boat is when it is put away for storage..regardless if you store inside or outside. Thr worst mold I ever had was after storing indoor one winter, but the boat was not completely dried out.

Key is to make sure the boat is 100% dried out, in addition hang some desiccant bags all over.

The few times I stored outside I covered with the boat cover and a tarp over the top. Tarps are cheap enough just buy a new one every year.

Winterization suggestions:

• Remove all cushions and store them inside your house.
    • Remove battery and store in a warm place.
    • Keep the engine hatch partially open (one or two inches) for better air circulation.
    • Place a carpet fan on the floor in the cabin area and every couple of days run it for 24 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Tarp works great with a fan running in the air space between the mooring cover and tarp. Pool cover is horrible I made that mistake once.
    -Jake

I live in the pnw but what i have been doing for the past 5 years is using a 10x20 foot portable carport. It is simple to put up and take down and keeps completely dry and does not trap in moisture. I think it was about $225 to buy and it has lasted 5 yrs so far. I also run a turbo dryer on the floor of the boat all winter to keep out the moisture. The carport fit perfectly over my outback lsv and i have even been able to raise it up to fit over my new boat that is much higher on the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    2002 outback lsv 320 tbi
    02 f 150 supercrew lariat