Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Winterization for newer Raptor motors

I have a '16 Craz with the "standard" 400 engine and being a boat owner for many years I have always done my own winterization. Obviously this new motor uses a self contained coolant and a heat exchanger so it's different than any boat I have owned. I have read several threads that have suggested ideas. The owners manual is not much help. So I thought I would post what I have gathered and see if anyone has suggestions or improvements. The picture of the 5 critical drain plug points has been previously posted in pdf format.

Add Stabil fuel stabilizer to gas tank and fill tank

Remove 2 hull drain plugs and place in ziploc bag, tape to steering wheel

Pump out all ballast

Attach hose to water intake and run engine to operating temperature / 160 degrees

Drain oil, replace oil filter with Motorcraft FL-820 or Wix 51372

Fill oil with Semi Synthetic 5W-30 - 8 quarts

Remove 5 drain plugs from heat exchanger , manifolds and transmission ( see picture)

Clean and drain lake water strainer if equipped ( was an option)

Remove spark plugs and fog each cylinder with fogging oil, crank engine to spread fogging oil

Detach hoses from ballast pumps, pour in RV antifreeze, cycle pump to insure it runs through

Detach and remove ballast bags, add 1/4 cup bleach and slosh around

Plug in on board battery charger or remove a batteries and place on trickle charger

Every other year ? ( I have the Indmar V Drive unit )

Drain and refill V drive (yellow dipstick)and transmission ( red dipstick). I believe these fluids need to be sucked out with a vacuum pump and a small tube.

Trans takes 2.3 qts Indmar ATF 872006 ( Can use Dextron 6 synthetic)
    V-Drive takes 1.25 qts Indmar Synthetic 50 Transmission oil 872009 ( can use Mobil Delvac 50 synthetiic transmission oil)

Replace lake water impeller

I welcome and constructive comments. Thank you.

What about the heater? I'm guessing that runs off the engine antifreeze coolant, so that doesn't need anything to be done to it?
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by DRHRSH View Post
    I have a '16 Craz with the "standard" 400 engine and being a boat owner for many years I have always done my own winterization. Obviously this new motor uses a self contained coolant and a heat exchanger so it's different than any boat I have owned. I have read several threads that have suggested ideas. The owners manual is not much help. So I thought I would post what I have gathered and see if anyone has suggestions or improvements. The picture of the 5 critical drain plug points has been previously posted in pdf format.

Pump out all ballast

Attach hose to water intake and run engine to operating temperature / 160 degrees

Remove 5 drain plugs from heat exchanger , manifolds and transmission ( see picture)

Remove spark plugs and fog each cylinder with fogging oil, crank engine to spread fogging oil

Detach hoses from ballast pumps, pour in RV antifreeze, cycle pump to insure it runs through

Plug in on board battery charger or remove a batteries and place on trickle charger

Drain and refill V drive (yellow dipstick)and transmission ( red dipstick). I believe these fluids need to be sucked out with a vacuum pump and a small tube.

V-Drive takes 1.25 qts Indmar Synthetic 50 Transmission oil 872009 ( can use Mobil Delvac 50 synthetiic transmission oil)

when I winterized my pcm351 in my 92 Sunsport, I left the block plugs out over the winter. Big mistake. lots of rust accumulated in the bare threads. So now after draining, I put my engine block plugs back in.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Trayson, then you raptor engines are closed loop cooling system. That means they have anti-freeze just like your car. So we would not be pulling out the engine plugs, unless you were changing the coolant somewhere down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Trayson, then you raptor engines are closed loop cooling system. That means they have anti-freeze just like your car. So we would not be pulling out the engine plugs, unless you were changing the coolant somewhere down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I missed that.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If you leave the hull drain plugs out, you need to devise something to prevent mice from getting in. I've heard of interiors and wires trashed from mice. I only have a bottom drain so I lay the drain plug cross ways to allow drainage but restrict varmints.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Sadly, I winterized my raptor 400 today too. I ended up with 5 plugs also. Instead of using rv antifreeze, I hooked up the air compressor and blew out the ballast lines. I also left the water hoses for the v drive unhooked. I'm planning to pour some anti freeze in the center tank, because it seems near impossible to get that tanks completely empty. Great tip on the bleach in the bags, I'll have to do that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Quote Originally Posted by DRHRSH View Post

Pump out all ballast

I had thought I removed 5 but realized today that I only removed 4. I have the 2 blue plastic wing nut looking plugs. One is from the manifold crossover. The 2nd is from the tube between the raw water pump and transmission cooler. The 3rd is the drain plug/anode from the heat exchanger. The 4th is the plug/ anode on the rear of the V drive.
    Which plug am I missing? My manual only indicates 4 plugs from my understanding. Thanks for the help!

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

image.jpg

This is the picture I referenced in my suggested winterization. I found it in these forums and it was provided to another member by a guy from Skiers Choice. What puzzles me is why the manifolds need to be drained if they are part of the "closed" cooling system and cooled by antifreeze? Any ideas?

My understanding is that the exhaust manifolds are water cooled. The water is expelled through the exhaust port, isn't it?
    That picture is too blurry for me to see anything.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.