Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Default Garage Heater Help

I need some help selecting a ceiling mount unit heater for the new garage. Finally bit the bullet and built a new pole building garage. The garge is 38' wide x 26' deep x 11 ft ceiling height. The walls an ceiling are both insulated and the floor is concrete.
    I live north of Pittsburgh, PA so a good heater is a must i'm looking at the Reznor UDAS model a 60,000 btu/hr. They are top of the line but very expensive. Does anyone know of the other brands, Sterling, Moline, or Dayton?
    The furnace will run on natural gas.
    Thanks
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

I'll try to remember to snap photos of my shop heater. It had to be from the 70s or 80s and does an incredible job. You may be able to find one on the cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I have the Reznor also. It has been fantastic. My garage is about the same size as yours, last winter it keep the garage at around 60 degrees with no problems. I am in Utah, so it get cold here too. I would highly recommend the Reznor.
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Have the Modine Hot Dawg in my shop. Same size. Works great and would definitely buy again.
    Don't remember BTU model I went with but it's plenty big and right around $800 installed.
    100_1436.jpg100_1458.jpg

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Dusty, Moombacraze, & Viking thanks - I appreciate the response. I cant purchase the Reznor without a contractor license and the best price I was quoted was $2,100.00 (not happening). Been looking online and found the Modine products but not much feedback - also no HVAC guys in my area carry them. I'm a DIY guy with 3 DIY brothers so if I pay to get that installed I'll never hear the end of it. I'm a few weeks and projects away from the purchase so i'll keep my ears open and see if any others Moomba folks have good intel on these Unit heaters also.
    Viking - thanks again ...you helped me before with the in-line strainer on my 2003 Outback...still running like a top, almost 600 hrs on it so far.
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

No Problem! Glad to help.
    Me and a neighbor installed mine. He's an HVAC guy and sourced the unit at close to cost and I threw him $50 and all the beer we could drink to help. I think the beer was the most expensive part of it LOL

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Have the Modine Hot Dawg in my shop. Same size. Works great and would definitely buy again.
    Don't remember BTU model I went with but it's plenty big and right around $800 installed.
    100_1436.jpg100_1458.jpg
    several people I know around here have this model and seem happy with it.
    and knowing it's being used in the frozen tundra should be good advertising
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

My garage is almost identical size with 12 ft ceilings. All insulated with concrete floor. I have a 50k btu mr heater that keeps it at 60 with no problems. I tend to do more projects in winter and can easily get to 70+ in below zero out side. I got mine from farm n fleet for $450. Took another $80 for gas line and exhaust venting, installed in 2 days. Not a hard job once the unit is hanging.
    Last edited by Crane man; 09-10-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Work to live!!
    2015 mondo
    Aviator tower
    Auto flow
    94 rinker 180 gone

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

We just redid our garage at our lake home in Northern Wisconson, and we decided to fully insulate and heat it. We went with the Sterling GG series, 60k BTU (I think), which more than heats our 2-car garage all winter (where is regularly gets to 20 to 30 below). It runs on propane from our 1,000 gal underground tank, and we normally set it to 55 degrees, which is plenty toasty in January

Here are 2 pics from this weekend:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk