Thread: Low gear issue

Default Low gear issue

So I am having some small issues on low gear, and idoling. First when we were on low gear we were having some small puff of black smoke. I changed out the ignition rotor, and that seemed to fix the smoke, but when we are coming in to park my engine stalls and I have to run to the front to stop the boat from smacking the dock. Even coming into putting the boat on the trailer I am stalling out. Anyone have any ideas?

What year and what engine?

Black smoke normally means burning really rich, the engine will stall more often because it's being flooded at low rpm.

If it's a carb engine I would look at adjusting the low idle, make sure choke is off, float isn't sticking, possibly a carb rebuild.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

It's a 2000 Moomba Outback with an Indmar Carb Engine. Has worked great all year and now this has been happening the last 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    What year and what engine?

Black smoke normally means burning really rich, the engine will stall more often because it's being flooded at low rpm.

If it's a carb engine I would look at adjusting the low idle, make sure choke is off, float isn't sticking, possibly a carb rebuild.