Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Just not quite ready to give in to fall/winter yet. Had to take my son and his friends out on the new boat!IMG_2984.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR Josh View Post
    How about an MTI V with quad 400's on the ass?
    Killer hulls on those MTIs. I've been on poker runs in Knoxville and Atlanta to see those. Not the center console model, but the 42' or 48' cats with twin Merc 1350s. Huge rooster tails. They get up over 100 mph and just ride on top of any waves.
    Love Quad 400s on probably a 42'. Dang, imagine that gas bill!!!

Killer hulls on those MTIs. I've been on poker runs in Knoxville and Atlanta to see those. Not the center console model, but the 42' or 48' cats with twin Merc 1350s. Huge rooster tails. They get up over 100 mph and just ride on top of any waves.
    Gas bill? It's only a cool 1.3 million for the boat.
    I've been on DCB M35 with duel super charged 1350's doing 130 mph on Lake Powell. Crazy the faster you go the smoother the ride is. Here's another MTI that most are used to seeing and it's a one bad boy!

Here's a DCB getting after it...
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    7 figure boats those MTI's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Yet another thing I will never be able to afford.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Picked up a 2016 Supra SE450 2 weeks ago.

So tonight started off pretty awesome. Despite having low water and not very much daylight, we got on the water okay. The launch was only about 3' deep, but we made it work. And this was what we got to see in the main channel motoring out to our spot:

I got in two great slalom runs on water that was even smoother than above. It was fantastic. My buddy hadn't skied in over a year and unfortunately it just didn't click for him to get up on his ski and we went straight to surfing so my wife could have some fun. She got a great surf run on perfect water.

After that it was my turn to surf, and a night surf is what it was.
    Had a blast out there and surfed the length of the slough.

For my buddy, it was even more of a night surf. It was also his way of saying goodbye to summer with "Summertime Sadness", "My Sweet Summer is Gone" and other songs chosen for that.

After that we put away all the boards, drained the ballast and headed back through the main channel of the Columbia River to get back to the dock...

And that's where our night took a turn for the worse.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

So, I NOW know this, but until tonight I had no idea of the following:

On the Columbia River, the US Government has treaties with the Native American tribes that protect their rights to fish as they see fit on the Columbia. So when they decide it's their fishing season, they get in big boats with net reels on the bow, and sting out nets for distances of 100 yards to easily 1/2 mile or more across the river. Their nets have white buoys along the top rope, and there's a flashing stobe that marks the end anchor point of their nets.

So here we are, an hour and a half after sunset, motoring back in the dark when we pass a fishing boat in the dark with a net stung 80% of the way across the river. They flashed a spotlight at us, but it was too little too late. we JUST crossed their net line and sure enough had our running gear tangled in their net's top rope.

Turns out that I had a buoy lodged between the back of my rudder and my prop, and I had the top rope wrapped around my prop shaft in front of the prop. Not the greatest thing to have happen in the dark on the middle of the river. Ultimately I put on my Heater Jacket (water was in the upper 60's) and got out my dive mask and snorkel. We also happened to have a couple of telescoping docking poles (cheater sticks) that we tried to use to get the rope/net out of the way.

After a few trips under the boat to look at how stuck we were, I realized our only way out would be to cut the top rope of their net and also cut out some of the netting. I also carry a floating knife on the boat (and finding it in the dark took a while, but we found it). It saved our butts to have it. I ended up having to cut the rope in a couple spots, including where it was wrapped around the prop shaft. Diving under repeatedly sucked and there was one time where I came up for air only to fine myself with the fishing net over my head and around my feet. It was a pretty hairy moment trying to keep my head above water to breathe while caught in the fishing net. I ended up getting a few slices from the net on my finger and toe, but at least I didn't drown. Going under the boat with my comp vest proved the best balance of being able to get under and still have flotation when I surfaced.

Ultimately it took us a half hour or more of diving, and cutting and dealing with the situation. I was able to get most of the netting cut away with just a bit of residual on my prop that I'll be dealing with later.

over the next mile of river, we counted easily 15 of these net boats. This is what you'd see. Boat with spotlights on the front and if you look REALLY hard you can see the white buoys when you're right on top of them.

Here's the top rope with a buoy coming out from under my swim platform.

Can you see the sting of buoys coming off the side of my boat at the top of the pic? Yeah, neither did we.

Many will say I should have known better, but this wasn't something that was in my boaters education course or that I've ever seen reference to at the launches or anything. I definitely learned the hard way. Yes, I was ignorant that they could stretch their nets across the river in the middle of the night. And I know it sucked for him to have his net cut about as much as it sucked for me to have to deal with it on my end. Thankfully no one was hurt and that my boat wasn't tangled up any worse.

we spent the rest of the drive back to the dock weaving between all the rest of the net boats with tons more dotting the river well past where we thankfully were able to pull our boat out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

One more pic of the net boat. Beware!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by davewfo View Post

Picked up a 2016 Supra SE450 2 weeks ago.

Beautiful boat! Congrats.

Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2