Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Langston you need to pick up a swing. The one we were using was just a $15 door bouncer. The outdoor playground swing that was also posted would be better for going across the water than the bouncer. We went this route because it stores completely flat and takes up no space at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Like a animal sticking it's head out the den hole, Best view in the house is through the windshield and in control of the boat.

DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Default September 2016 Picture Thread

Winding down the summer on Norris. Good times!

2012 OBV
    Camden
    Norris Lake

2012 Outback V
    2006 Party Barge 20' sold
    1991 Sea Ray 170 sold

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    there will be a line of people from the Northern states that will want to throat punch you for posting this . . .
    Throat punch away but it's not weather related. This weekend we are going to SA to hit up six flags and then it's back to work for three weeks for me. When I get home in Oct we have Nolans 1st birthday party that first Saturday and the next weekend we are headed to Saint Marteen for a week and won't get back until the following weekend and then it's back to work for three weeks. When I get home and have a free weekend it will be mid November...

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Throat punch away but it's not weather related. This weekend we are going to SA to hit up six flags and then it's back to work for three weeks for me. When I get home in Oct we have Nolans 1st birthday party that first Saturday and the next weekend we are headed to Saint Marteen for a week and won't get back until the following weekend and then it's back to work for three weeks. When I get home and have a free weekend it will be mid November...

Sent from my iPhone
    David, we have a six flags and a lake in Dallas! Joking. Saint marteen is sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

I actually prefer six flags over Texas over fiesta Texas too. But fiesta is so much closer and they have the river walk which the wifey likes

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

there will be a line of people from the Northern states that will want to throat punch you for posting this . . .
    He may quit but not me.

2020 SA ?,2019 SE550
    2018 G23 sold
    2017 SE450,2016 SA400 Sold
    2015 MB B52 23,2012 MB F21 Sold
    2014 Axis A22, 2010 Axis A22 Sold

2018 Ram 2500

Hahahahaha

So, we went out last night. Temps were warm enough for late summer and we were willing to chance the smoothness of the water since there was a breeze in the forecast.

We got to the launch and I'd never seen water that low. An I/O had struggled its way back to its trailer, so I got out and checked out the conditions. I figured that our boat drafts pretty shallow, so I figured we'd be okay.

I was wrong.

The water level covered the concrete of the launch and the boat came off the trailer just fine. about 10' from the water line, the depth was about 5' deep and by 20' out, the water was 7 to 9 feet deep. However, in the next 5 feet it quickly went to waist high and then to 1 foot deep. It was almost all sand (with a couple rocks here and there). Needless to say, the boat got stuck in the sand and no amount of lifting or pushing could get us through it. all 3 of us by this time were out of the boat, which was pointing with the bow away from the launch by this point. We really had no choice but to take a bow line and have an I/O that was further out in the deeper water give us a GENTLE pull through the sand. (it would have been more work to get the boat in from where we were at).

I felt confident that the tide would raise the level of the river as the evening progressed, so once we got free of the sand bar in the middle of the launch, we went out into the river to try to enjoy the rest of our evening. We didn't get very far at all (the engine had been idling this whole time) when the engine went into limp mode and would only do 3,000 RPM's. I looked over and saw the temp gauge starting to spike. I shut the engine down and started to think of what I could do...

I have a reversible pump for filling two of my auxillary ballast bags. When I plumbed this pump, I put in an extra TEE with a ball valve after it and stubbed it out to a connection for a length of hose. At the end of that hose was a flow-rite fitting to allow it to serve as a backup to my other ballast pumps. I rummaged through my bag of extra fittings and found a 3/4" hose barb to male garden hose fitting and put that at the end of the hose. I opened up the bilge and screwed that hose fitting into my Flush Pro (that typically would let me run the boat off the garden hose on land). I turned on the reversible and restarted the engine. shortly, the temp started dropping and in less than a minute, the temps were back down to normal and even cooler than normal. The solution worked!

I took off the hose connected to the flush pro and ran the engine normal, and things stayed at the normal operating temp. We motored to our normal ride spot and the water was rough and everyone was cold.

I pulled up the chart that shows the river level and could see that the low point was when we launched at 6pm and the high point was around midnight. The 9pm to 10pm window looked like a decent time to shoot for as a compromise between water level and being out ALL night.

The vertical lines are 2' apart. If you look at the observed levels, they were even lower than predicted. We launched at about 6pm (blue circle) and pulled the boat out after 10pm (green circle).

We decided to motor back to a dock on the river with a cool restaurant a short walk away. We figured that killing a little time as the water level rose would be best in a warm restaurant looking out over the river while drinking tasty adult beverages and fantastic appetizers.

We got back to the launch around 10pm and docked the boat at the end (where it was deeper). I had a headlamp so I was able to walk the dock and the water level looked a LOT better. We backed the truck in and unloaded all the passengers from the boat. I was able to drive the boat all the way to the trailer, just bumping the throttle to get it there. The depth gauge never went below 3 feet and we got out of the river just fine. I was pretty thankful to have the boat back safe on the trailer.

It was a long night filled with 20/20 hindsight and lots of problem solving, but I learned some lessons and thankfully the boat seems fine.
    Last edited by trayson; 09-09-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    We didn't get very far at all (the engine had been idling this whole time) when the engine went into limp mode and would only do 3,000 RPM's. I looked over and saw the temp gauge starting to spike. I shut the engine down and started to think of what I could do...
    Ideas on what caused the temperature spike? I wouldn't think extended idling would have caused a problem, you think the intake was clogged with the whole 'gentle drag through the sand' part?

Odd that once you cooled it down via auxiliary pump it stayed that way on it's normal feed.
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!