Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    This is best practice for an occasional use vehicle like a boat, especially one thats park for long periods like in a marine or storage lot. Much safer to disconnect battery voltage form the boat.
    Interesting. I use my boat 2 to 3 times a week. I have two cars and a motorcycle that will have longer usage gaps and I never bother disconnecting them. (albeit they don't have a switch.). But yeah, I do turn it to off when it gets winterized.

I guess a "regularly used boat" with low downtime means that my capacitors aren't going to die as soon. That's something.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

To be max effective, the capacitor has to be as close as possible to the amplifier primary terminals rather than at the battery end.
    If the boat and audio electronics get wet during a hard wind-driven rain storm, without a disconnect in use, whether a breaker or switch, you have power inside the amplifier chassis even though the amplifier is off. The nature of a short caused by water is such that it can burn down the amplifiers without drawing enough current to blow even a very small fuse. For this and other safety reasons, I would always recommend using a convenient master disconnect switch in some form. Btw, those caps can store enough energy to seriously hurt you. Although a very small amount of current, it takes power to keep a capacitor energized. It's not a battery. Another reason I want it off line during long periods of storage.
    On another note, let's say you are driving the system hard with prolonged bass notes. Which is not at all unusual. As a musical transient will partially deplete the cap, the cap depends on a moment of low demand to fully restore its charge. During any demand that is more prolonged than a rapid transient peak, a partially discharged cap is now competing with the amplifier for the supply. Now what benefit does it provide?
    In most cases they only improve the sound until the placebo effect wears off.

Default Digital capacitor

This is best practice for an occasional use vehicle like a boat, especially one thats park for long periods like in a marine or storage lot. Much safer to disconnect battery voltage form the boat.
    So you are suppose to turn it to OFF correct? Want to make sure I'm doing it right lol

Not sure why you would put it to 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    So you are suppose to turn it to OFF correct? Want to make sure I'm doing it right lol

Not sure why you would put it to 1.

I prefer to make use of the OFF position.

If not OFF, I see no difference between 1, 2 or BOTH. System is left with voltage to it.

I prefer to make use of the OFF position.

If not OFF, I see no difference between 1, 2 or BOTH. System is left with voltage to it.
    I was always afraid to plug in my charger with the batteries on. I thought I would fry something haha. My installer said its ok to charge with one battery on but make sure both aren't on. He also recommended to just keep them in the off position when charging though.

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    .......... But are you going to set your friend straight?
    Haha I did. I got no reply from him after sharing that people with way more rms than me weren't using them lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was always afraid to plug in my charger with the batteries on. I thought I would fry something haha. My installer said its ok to charge with one battery on but make sure both aren't on. He also recommended to just keep them in the off position when charging though.

My dealer when we bought the boat instructed us to turn to "off" after each use and then keep the charger on as much as possible if convenient with the switch off. I plug it in each time I park it in the garage whether it's for a day or a month. Hope that's what I am supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jtatexc View Post
    My dealer when we bought the boat instructed us to turn to "off" after each use and then keep the charger on as much as possible if convenient with the switch off. I plug it in each time I park it in the garage whether it's for a day or a month. Hope that's what I am supposed to do.

Yep, I do the same and I always freak out when I don't have a plug to charge on nights we stay at hotels lol

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Yep, I do the same and I always freak out when I don't have a plug to charge on nights we stay at hotels lol

Haha us too

Quote Originally Posted by jtatexc View Post
    Haha us too
    I am in that camp. I turn mine off and plug in charger. once or twice I have forgotten to plug in and I always cringe at the ramp that it's not going to start. has every time

I do recall years ago when doing the system in the '06 I inquired about caps and David/mla gave me the same advice. not needed and don't use them. with a dedicated deep cycle to the boat, it's not needed and adds cost, wiring, another link to break in the audio chain and some degree of danger as caps can hurt if touched. looking at trayson's install, some kid goes into the cubby to grab a lifejacket, cooler, towel or whatever and a wave knocks him off balance and ZAP....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten