Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Digital capacitor

Please don't kill me if this is a stupid question. I caught a bunch of hell from a friend who saw I had 4 amps (1 to my sub, 1 in cab, and 2 for the 2 sets of tower speakers) and not running one. He said I was killing my batteries and risking a lot but couldn't tell me much more. He said I would be smart to wire one in between the battery and my rack of positive terminals but the diagram on the package shows that each amp should have its own and be between the in-line fuse and amp.
    I rarely to never listen to music with the boat not running. We are pretty much always on the gas pedal and when not I kill all power and we just chill. Am I in need of 1...or 4...or these? Fine without? Risking anything? Anyone else running them and if so how is it wired? He said this one is what I should put....

The amps I have are.
    Stock kicker from moomba for in cab
    Zx450.2 (150w rmsx2 for tower set #1)
    Kx400.4 (bridged 200w rmsx2 for tower set#2)
    Jl audio 500/1 for sub
    I have the dual batteries in the boat and use my trickle charger in between each ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jtatexc; 08-29-2016 at 10:43 PM.

I've seen David explain but do not remember the details.

You are fine without.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

get a new friend

I have them ......my audio buddy who helped me said I need them ......i forget all the details .....but it all made sense when explained.....and didn't cost much

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    When stuck inside......
    Hanging out here and at my favorite camping and truck forums
    same name at www.dogandtrailer.com and www.duramaxforum.com
    2006 Mobius LS, 2009 Sydney Outback 310 BHS, 2011 Duramax - My toys

I guess the question is, do your headlights dim when the bass drops?
    But seriously your friend doesn't know as much as he thinks he does. For starters I assume you're running a battery bank for your stereo with a large reserve capacity and it is close proximity to your digital amps.
    -Jake

I like that it's 500K microFarad... because that's wayyy cooler than 0.5 Farad.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Default Digital capacitor

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    I like that it's 500K microFarad... because that's wayyy cooler than 0.5 Farad.
    Lol. That's funny.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

From what I learned you need these Caps in Cars due to only running 1 battery, and it not being a deep cycle. Car batteries don't like being loaded and drained unlike Deep Cycle batteries.

In a boat since the application is very different working world, and the batteries are deep cycle they are not needed like in an automobile.

4 summers in a row pounding on my 2 6vs with 5100 RMS power and my batteries are doing fine, I am not going to add a Cap.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Deep cycle versus starting batteries = makes no difference related to caps.
    Caps store energy to stiffen the voltage against sagging for just a fraction of a second. Since music is transient by nature there is momentary opportunity for the cap to recharge in between periods of excess demand. Caps can't prop up voltage continuously. Caps cannot elevate voltage. So caps are no replacement for additional battery reserves. More of an esoteric device for a car system. And btw, most of the less expensive caps are worthless in any application.
    The biggest issue within a boat is that it's not a daily driver and the cap is totally drained each time you remove power and full-charge from scratch each time you apply power. Caps are supposed to be initially slow charged (which is why they come equipped with a charging resistor). Thus the cap is eventually damaged and becomes a charging system liability.
    However, they do look purdy...specially them thar digital ones.

if they are Purdy , then damn buy one for sure.....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold