Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    However, they do look purdy...specially them thar digital ones.
    sez David Analog.

*rimshot*
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    sez David Analog.

*rimshot*
    Yes, it's ironical.

They sure have come a long ways since the flux capacitor and more compact.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

You ABSOLUTELY need a cap on your boat. How else are you gonna keep from burning the balding spot on the back of your head?

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    You ABSOLUTELY need a cap on your boat. How else are you gonna keep from burning the balding spot on the back of your head?

Phil
    Kicker
    WHAT?!?! I resemble that remark!

WHAT?!?! I resemble that remark!
    Sometimes I sail my sailboat a certain direction based on how much shade I can get from the main sail..

Thanks everyone! You are awesome! I will leave the system as it is....in perfect working order and simply continue to enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

.......... But are you going to set your friend straight?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Deep cycle versus starting batteries = makes no difference related to caps.
    Caps store energy to stiffen the voltage against sagging for just a fraction of a second. Since music is transient by nature there is momentary opportunity for the cap to recharge in between periods of excess demand. Caps can't prop up voltage continuously. Caps cannot elevate voltage. So caps are no replacement for additional battery reserves. More of an esoteric device for a car system. And btw, most of the less expensive caps are worthless in any application.
    The biggest issue within a boat is that it's not a daily driver and the cap is totally drained each time you remove power and full-charge from scratch each time you apply power. Caps are supposed to be initially slow charged (which is why they come equipped with a charging resistor). Thus the cap is eventually damaged and becomes a charging system liability.
    However, they do look purdy...specially them thar digital ones.
    Why would power be removed from the capacitors? The only way I see this happening is if one is in the habit of turning their perko switch to OFF after using their boat. When I'm done boating and park my boat under the carport, the perko stays in the 1 position and I put the float chargers on them to keep them topped off between outings. So I don't see any opportunity for my capacitors to discharge between uses.

That said, I had a couple capacitors I added to my system mostly because I was doing a re-wire and I had them laying around from a previous audio install. I do understand they probably aren't doing anything for me (because I'm certainly not having dimming headlights! LOL). I was kinda hoping that when my sub amp was getting worked hard and having short by quick clipping, that the capacitor might help. If I'm honest with myself it probably didn't. But it doesn't hurt anything either, so I haven't taken them off...

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

The only way I see this happening is if one is in the habit of turning their perko switch to OFF after using their boat.
    This is best practice for an occasional use vehicle like a boat, especially one thats park for long periods like in a marine or storage lot. Much safer to disconnect battery voltage form the boat.