Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XLV won't start

Default XLV won't start

For a number of reasons we haven't used our boat for exactly one month. We are going on a trip this weekend so I figured I better check everything out to be sure we are good. To my surprise the boat will not start. I turn the key it beeps, the fuel pump kicks on and nothing else happens. It has turned over slow in the past but it was normally after sitting in a cove listening to tunes for awhile. But now it won't even turn over. I've checked to be sure the throttle arm is in neutral and I've checked the kill switch. I've tapped on the starter with a hammer and checked all fuses. I tightened down all the battery terminals and still nothing. Tried on battery 1, battery 2 and then 1&2 together and still nothing. I went to the starter and jumped the two wires with a screwdriver and the boat fired right up. Went up and shut the engine off and turned the key only to find the exact same thing. I now have the batteries on a charger even though they tested good but am I looking at a battery issue or a starter issue? When I jumped it with a screwdriver it did not turn over slow at all it fired right up. Anyone have any tips for me here????

This is for a 2009 Moomba XLV with the Assualt 325 motor.

To me it almost seems like a relay issue or a safety wire somewhere but I'm not having any luck tracking anything down. Thanks in advance for any tips anyone can offer up.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210
    1992 CARAVELLE FISH&SKI 1750

Sounds to me like a bad starter solenoid. Your battery is good or it would not have started. The starter works or it would not have started. The solenoid you bypassed with the screwdriver either has a bad connection or is itself bad.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default XLV won't start

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Sounds to me like a bad starter solenoid. Your battery is good or it would not have started. The starter works or it would not have started. The solenoid you bypassed with the screwdriver either has a bad connection or is itself bad.
    What he said. You did all the right troubleshooting steps and have found the problem
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

alright, well onto figuring out the solenoid.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210

I've replaced a solenoid on prior boats but I can't find the dumb thing on this boat anywhere. Any tips on this? Again this is an 09 XLV with the 325 Assualt motor.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210

keeping an eye on this thread, we have a similar issue, although if you move the key from off to on a few times it will eventually start.

Quote Originally Posted by gpd005 View Post
    I've replaced a solenoid on prior boats but I can't find the dumb thing on this boat anywhere. Any tips on this? Again this is an 09 XLV with the 325 Assualt motor.
    This should help:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....224#post263224
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I've tried the key on and off thing several times and it isn't working. Took the starter in and he tested it and said it was all good but that the Solenoid was built into this starter (explains why I couldn't find it anywhere else) Called inboardonly.com and they are saying it sounds like a safety switch, a starter relay, or possibly the key switch could be bad as well.
    2009 MOOMBA XLV 23
    1996 MB SPORTS BOSS 210

Quote Originally Posted by gpd005 View Post
    I've tried the key on and off thing several times and it isn't working. Took the starter in and he tested it and said it was all good but that the Solenoid was built into this starter (explains why I couldn't find it anywhere else) Called inboardonly.com and they are saying it sounds like a safety switch, a starter relay, or possibly the key switch could be bad as well.
    Well, bypass the damn kill switch and see if that fixes it. (I'm thinking it'll be two spade terminals, unplug them from the switch and stick a blade fuse between them).

You can do the same by unplugging the "start" terminal from your ignition switch and tapping it to the hot lead to bypass the ignition switch. Those are a lot easier than pulling the starter, not sure why you didn't try that first (troubleshooting from the battery to the starter, not from the starter back to the battery).

Not sure where the starter relay is, but like everything else, you should be able to follow the wires and bypass it to test.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

how are your grounds? Larry from Indmar has been a big help in my pursuit as well with giving me some good tips. Mine (I assume your XLV as well) has a smart start built in where it cranks the engine automatically for you (you will notice if you kick it to turn over then let go of the key it will keep cranking. Grounds for that unit should be really clean and tight.