Default Tire valve stem failure

I was going to take my trailer for a spin (i rarely use it and last time was 2 years ago..... Boat lift in boat house) and noticing a tire was low i grabbed my compressor and started topping them up. I get to the second one and something isnt right.....the valve stem rubber was cracked and the reason for air loss . Inspecting them , i find all 5 are cracked and 3 wont hold air..... Trailer is stored in a shaded area too and only 6 yrs old.......
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Same thing happened to me. Keep my boat in a lift and the trailer is stored in the shade. Valve stems hard and cracked leaking air but the tires looked good.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    I was going to take my trailer for a spin (i rarely use it and last time was 2 years ago..... Boat lift in boat house) and noticing a tire was low i grabbed my compressor and started topping them up. I get to the second one and something isnt right.....the valve stem rubber was cracked and the reason for air loss . Inspecting them , i find all 5 are cracked and 3 wont hold air..... Trailer is stored in a shaded area too and only 6 yrs old.......
    Um, get better quality valve stems? I know that the cheap rubber ones aren't your only option.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Um, get better quality valve stems? I know that the cheap rubber ones aren't your only option.
    Well, in order to make a seal passing thru the rim I believe they need to be a pliable material. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to an available substitute to the rubber ones as my knowledge is somewhat limited on this topic. For now I just replaced them with Canadian rubber valve stem (our rubbers seem to work better than the asian rubbers....wink wink).......have to see how they last compared to the boatmate rubber.

thank you
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 09-01-2016 at 12:23 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Well, in order to make a seal passing thru the rim I believe they need to be a pliable material. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to an available substitute to the rubber ones as my knowledge is somewhat limited on this topic. For now I just replaced them with Canadian rubber valve stem (our rubbers seem to work better than the asian rubbers....wink wink).......have to see how they last compared to the boatmate rubber.

thank you
    These are the typical cheap ones that any tire shop will give you for free with a mount.

On many vehicles, especially ones with TPMS sensors, they have the rubber only where it passes through the barrel of the wheel, and have a metal sleeve for the shaft of the valve stem. Maybe something like this would be less prone to deterioration from heat or UV or whatever killed your last set.

not sure if it'd solve your problem; but I figured I'd make you aware of another option.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com