Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hesitation when accelerating

Last Sunday we took the boat out and surfed for about 3 hours and then on my last pull the engine started to hesitate when accelerating. I drained all the bags and headed towards the dock. Once I got close to land I tried to go again giving it some gas it didn't do the hesitation. So I stopped and went again. Still nothing. So I filled a bag up so someone could surf. They got one ride in and on the second pull it started the hesitation again.

Any thoughts?

2008 mobius lsv. 5.7L indmar.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Start with the distributer cap/rotor.
    Then the fuel filter
    then try the plugs and plug wires (including coil wire).

Sometimes you have to throw some basic "tune up" parts at these engines. If you replace something that wasn't actually causing the problem, at least you're ahead of the game on routine maintenance.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Then the fuel filter

Sometimes you have to throw some basic "tune up" parts at these engines. If you replace something that wasn't actually causing the problem, at least you're ahead of the game on routine maintenance.
    OK I will. I did the the fuel filter yesterday but couldn't test run cause it was raining. I just hope I didn't get gas from a station that had water in the tanks..
    I forgot to mention that I put it in neutral and revved it and on the second Rev it died. I restarted it and it sounded like a rought start but smoothed itself out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

WTF! I just replied and hit enter and it disappeared! Again! Anyway, I had this problem on a 2004 Moomba outback, I pulled off the rear ski locker panel to locate the fuel filter and found a kink in my fuel hose. I simply cut off 6 inches which removed the kink, and re-attached. Never had the hesitation problem again!
    2015 Moomba Mondo (Surf Edition)
    Ford Raptor 400
    Roswell Aviator Tower
    AutoFlow Upgraded to Gen 2
    Added JL Audio Amp & Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Alerberg View Post
    WTF! I just replied and hit enter and it disappeared! Again! Anyway, I had this problem on a 2004 Moomba outback, I pulled off the rear ski locker panel to locate the fuel filter and found a kink in my fuel hose. I simply cut off 6 inches which removed the kink, and re-attached. Never had the hesitation problem again!
    Maybe it was trying to censor your stories about kinky Ho's! (Oh, I mean "hose")
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Hahaha

I didn't see a kink when I replaced my filter. I got the cap and rotor and plugs from GM. Waiting on wires from indmar. Hopefully it is just a fuel filter that would bexplain a relief. My biggest concern is water in the tank but I don't fill up at a marina.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Does anyone know the torque specs for the spark plugs on the 5.7 assault engine? Should dielectric grease be used?
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Ughhh!!! Now my check engine light is on. I did cap and rotor and fuel filter. Went around the lake a little and still had the hesitation at surf speeds and at higher speeds. The tachometer would beat 3000 and drop to 2700, 2800, or even 2500. I stopped the boat and sitting still in the water it would idle at normal rpm range and I notice it drop to 500 and struggle to get back to 1000. The. My check engine light came on. Sucks cause labor day is next week and I'll probably be take it to the dealership instead of getting on the lake.
    Any ideas what it could be??
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    Ughhh!!! Now my check engine light is on. I did cap and rotor and fuel filter. Went around the lake a little and still had the hesitation at surf speeds and at higher speeds. The tachometer would beat 3000 and drop to 2700, 2800, or even 2500. I stopped the boat and sitting still in the water it would idle at normal rpm range and I notice it drop to 500 and struggle to get back to 1000. The. My check engine light came on. Sucks cause labor day is next week and I'll probably be take it to the dealership instead of getting on the lake.
    Any ideas what it could be??
    MY CEL light was on too. I replaced the corroded cap rotor. I replaced the plugs. it was better, but not fixed. My RPM's would jump around just like you're talking about, with a 3k variance. It was still running bad and unreliable.

Then the fuel filter
    I got mine from Bakes and they shipped it wicked fast. (or hit up ski-dim, as they're probably closer to you) or even better, find the plug wires locally and throw them on!

I used the 5% coupon code.
    MmbaCrw5

These are the plug wires that I used with my Indmar 340 CAT engine. I'm not sure if you have the HVS distributor or not, but it might be the same ones.
    http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=843

It hurt a little to cough up over a c-note HOPING it would solve my problem, but when it DID solve my problem, it was WAY cheaper than a dealer visit. I would have probably spent that much just to have them pull the stupid codes with no insight! Plus, you know how quickly things happen at the dealer??? Plan on having your boat down for 1 to 2 weeks while they get around to it if it's anything like up here.
    Last edited by trayson; 08-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

MY CEL light was on too. I replaced the corroded cap rotor. I replaced the plugs. it was better, but not fixed. My RPM's would jump around just like you're talking about, with a 3k variance. It was still running bad and unreliable.

I got mine from Bakes and they shipped it wicked fast. (or hit up ski-dim, as they're probably closer to you) or even better, find the plug wires locally and throw them on!

I used the 5% coupon code.
    MmbaCrw5

These are the plug wires that I used with my Indmar 340 CAT engine. I'm not sure if you have the HVS distributor or not, but it might be the same ones.
    http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=843

It hurt a little to cough up over a c-note HOPING it would solve my problem, but when it DID solve my problem, it was WAY cheaper than a dealer visit. I would have probably spent that much just to have them pull the stupid codes with no insight! Plus, you know how quickly things happen at the dealer??? Plan on having your boat down for 1 to 2 weeks while they get around to it if it's anything like up here.
    So once you changed plugs and wires your issue went away? What about your CEL? Did that just turn off or did you clear it with a scan tool? I'll definitely do it Saturday. I'm still waiting on the wires..
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT