Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Hesitation when accelerating

Last Sunday we took the boat out and surfed for about 3 hours and then on my last pull the engine started to hesitate when accelerating. I drained all the bags and headed towards the dock. Once I got close to land I tried to go again giving it some gas it didn't do the hesitation. So I stopped and went again. Still nothing. So I filled a bag up so someone could surf. They got one ride in and on the second pull it started the hesitation again.

Any thoughts?

2008 mobius lsv. 5.7L indmar.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Start with the distributer cap/rotor.
    Then the fuel filter
    then try the plugs and plug wires (including coil wire).

Sometimes you have to throw some basic "tune up" parts at these engines. If you replace something that wasn't actually causing the problem, at least you're ahead of the game on routine maintenance.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Start with the distributer cap/rotor.
    Then the fuel filter
    then try the plugs and plug wires (including coil wire).

Sometimes you have to throw some basic "tune up" parts at these engines. If you replace something that wasn't actually causing the problem, at least you're ahead of the game on routine maintenance.
    OK I will. I did the the fuel filter yesterday but couldn't test run cause it was raining. I just hope I didn't get gas from a station that had water in the tanks..
    I forgot to mention that I put it in neutral and revved it and on the second Rev it died. I restarted it and it sounded like a rought start but smoothed itself out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

WTF! I just replied and hit enter and it disappeared! Again! Anyway, I had this problem on a 2004 Moomba outback, I pulled off the rear ski locker panel to locate the fuel filter and found a kink in my fuel hose. I simply cut off 6 inches which removed the kink, and re-attached. Never had the hesitation problem again!
    2015 Moomba Mondo (Surf Edition)
    Ford Raptor 400
    Roswell Aviator Tower
    AutoFlow Upgraded to Gen 2
    Added JL Audio Amp & Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Alerberg View Post
    WTF! I just replied and hit enter and it disappeared! Again! Anyway, I had this problem on a 2004 Moomba outback, I pulled off the rear ski locker panel to locate the fuel filter and found a kink in my fuel hose. I simply cut off 6 inches which removed the kink, and re-attached. Never had the hesitation problem again!
    Maybe it was trying to censor your stories about kinky Ho's! (Oh, I mean "hose")
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Hahaha

I didn't see a kink when I replaced my filter. I got the cap and rotor and plugs from GM. Waiting on wires from indmar. Hopefully it is just a fuel filter that would bexplain a relief. My biggest concern is water in the tank but I don't fill up at a marina.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Check fuel pressure. Our carbed assault 325 had the fuel pump shit the bed and it was starving the engine until it bit the ghost. If the 340 has the same goofy fuel pump setup you may also want to replace the pressure solenoid next to the destributor. Also check for leaks in the exhaust hose.

Sean

2004 MOOMBA Mobius LS
    1987 Kawasaki JS-550 (What was I thinking?!)
    2004 Kawasaki STX-12f
    2002 Kawasaki STX-R
    (BrAaAaPp!?!)
    2007 Kawasaki Ultra LX (shhh... it's got a vortech )
    2001 Toyota Tundra (Long Travel Tow Vehicle )
    Checkout my LED project here!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Check fuel pressure. Our carbed assault 325 had the fuel pump shit the bed and it was starving the engine until it bit the ghost. If the 340 has the same goofy fuel pump setup you may also want to replace the pressure solenoid next to the destributor. Also check for leaks in the exhaust hose.

Sean

Cool I'll check that this weekend. Been so busy haven't been able to get back out. Mines the 325 EFI so I really hope it's not injector(s). I was trying to locate the regulator and had trouble finding it. Assuming it is an injector, can I just take them out and hook them to a battery and spray carb cleaner through them? It idles fine and it doesn't do the surging at low speeds, 7-8 mph, but does it at surf speeds with or without perfect pass on, and at 20-25 mph. Is the fuel pump the little electrical solenoid looking part, size of a fist, on starboard side near the floor? I'm stressing out about this cause I don't think extended warranty will cover fuel issues and I don't want to take it to the dealership unless I have to.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    Cool I'll check that this weekend. Been so busy haven't been able to get back out. Mines the 325 EFI so I really hope it's not injector(s). I was trying to locate the regulator and had trouble finding it. Assuming it is an injector, can I just take them out and hook them to a battery and spray carb cleaner through them? It idles fine and it doesn't do the surging at low speeds, 7-8 mph, but does it at surf speeds with or without perfect pass on, and at 20-25 mph. Is the fuel pump the little electrical solenoid looking part, size of a fist, on starboard side near the floor? I'm stressing out about this cause I don't think extended warranty will cover fuel issues and I don't want to take it to the dealership unless I have to.

Fuel pump is located near the front of the motor on the bottom, opposite the alternator. I would be surprised if an injector went bad unless you got a bad batch of fuel or water got in the tank.

Sean

2004 MOOMBA Mobius LS
    1987 Kawasaki JS-550 (What was I thinking?!)
    2004 Kawasaki STX-12f
    2002 Kawasaki STX-R
    (BrAaAaPp!?!)
    2007 Kawasaki Ultra LX (shhh... it's got a vortech )
    2001 Toyota Tundra (Long Travel Tow Vehicle )
    Checkout my LED project here!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Fuel pump is located near the front of the motor on the bottom, opposite the alternator. I would be surprised if an injector went bad unless you got a bad batch of fuel or water got in the tank.

Sean
    Well turns out I got high and low fuel pressure pump. When I get to test it this weekend how will I know which one is failing? Boat seems to do the same thing in 3k rpm and higher. And it idles fine..
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT